Old Stradic Handle Play

Started by Scattergun2570, September 16, 2018, 05:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

i ran into a guy today using an old Stradic 4000,the wood grain handle,white body,gold spool. Anyway,the handle had play..meaning you could push the handle forward and backward roughly 1/8in,without any rotor movement. I have not seen this before in my limited reel repair experience..so what do you think is causing this?

exp2000

The maingear needs more shims added prolly.
~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on September 16, 2018, 05:57:17 AM
The maingear needs more shims added prolly.
~

How could shimming the main gear correct this?

exp2000

Shimming is used to close the mesh between the gear teeth, reducing backlash which translates to play at the handle.

philaroman

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on September 16, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

they think you mean side-to-side handle play...

before '97 Stradics did not have roller-bearing instant A/R -- some back-play is normal

as things get "loose under the hood" from extended use without a tuneup, you can get a little gap/pause between handle movement & rotor engagement -- the normal back-play of old-school dog/ratchet A/R really makes that gap/pause seem more noticeable

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on September 16, 2018, 04:34:21 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on September 16, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

before '97 Stradics did not have roller-bearing instant A/R -- some back-play is normal

as things get "loose under the hood" from extended use without a tuneup, you can get a little gap/pause between handle movement & rotor engagement -- the normal back-play of old-school dog/ratchet A/R really makes that gap/pause seem more noticeable

This one I believe does have an instant anti reverse.. if I hold the rotor from moving,and turn the handle,it moves about an 1/8" or so.. so we are dealing with a gear engagement issue?

exp2000

No I don't.

Quotebefore '97 Stradics did not have roller-bearing instant A/R -- some back-play is normal

Good call. Haven't seen one that old myself.

QuoteThis one I believe does have an instant anti reverse.. if I hold the rotor from moving,and turn the handle,it moves about an 1/8" or so.. so we are dealing with a gear engagement issue?

Remove handle and caps. Place a tapered dowel in the crown side of the maingear. Press down and see if the play in the rotor improves. This should provide some indication as to whether you need to increase the shim stack.
~

philaroman

white Stradic, wood knob, roller bearing... must be the graphite FE, or aluminum FG = 18-23 yrs. old
if instant A/R is OK & worn gear teeth are the only source of such significant back-play, it may be too late for shims (but worth a try)...  if you look for donor reels, SymetreFH is same as StradicFG

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on September 17, 2018, 08:33:03 AM
white Stradic, wood knob, roller bearing... must be the graphite FE, or aluminum FG = 18-23 yrs. old
if instant A/R is OK & worn gear teeth are the only source of such significant back-play, it may be too late for shims (but worth a try)...  if you look for donor reels, SymetreFH is same as StradicFG

Phil,,I am curious,where do get shims from?

philaroman

many, many, many donor reels -- cheapest way to go, after the first dozen...  been about 20 yrs., since I bought specific, new Shimano parts & that was for a baitcaster, of which I have only a few

exp2000

Shims are available as a standard spare part from Shimano.

Ask for a packet and you will usually get three shims of varying thickness for the purposes of adjustment.
~

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on September 17, 2018, 06:50:07 PM
many, many, many donor reels -- cheapest way to go, after the first dozen...  been about 20 yrs., since I bought specific, new Shimano parts & that was for a baitcaster, of which I have only a few

Had a feeling you were going to say that. I don't have donor reels..too new to this reel repair thing to have built up any parts.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: exp2000 on September 17, 2018, 11:36:56 PM
Shims are available as a standard spare part from Shimano.

Ask for a packet and you will usually get three shims of varying thickness for the purposes of adjustment.
~

And what do they charge for that?

ourford

I have several old stradics and noticed that the play in the handle is due to the sides of the handle "spreading" where it meets the shaft. If you look closely where the pin goes through the shaft you may notice a little space between the shaft and the two sides of the cast handle. They're not good handles. I've heard that some of the newer 4000 size handles from different series shimano reels fit these. I'll try to find which.
Vic