Dacron vs braid

Started by ronluvs2fish, September 17, 2018, 01:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I was sorting some digital photos the week end and came upon this one, for those who believe Spectra/Dynema is long lasting fishing line.    In the Metadata of the file I see the foto was taken about 18 month ago.
I think this is Powerpro 80 lb and I guess it had been in use for about 2 month and this is not caused by friction on rocks, purely from casting though guides and perhaps from thumb on line.
Cornelis

oc1

It's too bad that we decided to call Spectra "braid".  It was only because Spectra replaced (is replacing) mono.  Mono replaced braided nylon and braided Dacron.  Braided nylon and Dacron replaced braided silk and twisted linen.

Keta

Quote from: Cor on May 03, 2021, 06:58:53 AM
I was sorting some digital photos the week end and came upon this one, for those who believe Spectra/Dynema is long lasting fishing line.    In the Metadata of the file I see the foto was taken about 18 month ago.
I think this is Powerpro 80 lb and I guess it had been in use for about 2 month and this is not caused by friction on rocks, purely from casting though guides and perhaps from thumb on line.

I have 25 year old Spectra that looks new.  I would guess this line is either PRC counterfeit or you have a bad guide on your rod/rods.

Quote from: oc1 on May 03, 2021, 09:03:01 AM
It's too bad that we decided to call Spectra "braid".  It was only because Spectra replaced (is replacing) mono.  Mono replaced braided nylon and braided Dacron.  Braided nylon and Dacron replaced braided silk and twisted linen.

That are all "braid" but I refer to them as Dacron and Spectra. I do call Dilemma Spectra but both are gel spun Polyethylene.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

if guides are fine, looks like characteristic sand abrasion at terminal end
if you go braid/swivel/short leader, a day at the beach will get braid that hairy, unless you retie OFTEN
how far up the line is this damage?  how much topshot/leader?
did you not retie for 2 months ???

also, are there any sharp-shelled mollusks where you fish
zebra mussels put rocks to shame, when it comes to braid destruction

Tiddlerbasher

Your right Lee - it can be a 'Dilemma' ;D

oc1

A twelve foot floro leader will normally last me about five to ten hours of cast and retrieve before it is nicked up by the bottom.  When I replace the leader about ten to fifteen feet of fuzzy Spectra is cut off too.  After doing that four or five times, what is left of the top fifty yards of Spectra is thrown out and a new fifty-yard "casting head" is spliced in.  The Spectra on the bottom of the spool seems to last forever.

boon

Quote from: Cor on May 03, 2021, 06:58:53 AM
I was sorting some digital photos the week end and came upon this one, for those who believe Spectra/Dynema is long lasting fishing line.    In the Metadata of the file I see the foto was taken about 18 month ago.

That's some crazy abrasion. I have reels with 3+ year old PowerPro on them that get used regularly and they don't have any visible fraying. Mind you they're not being cast, as they're fished from a boat, and fished vertically so there's no contact with anything except the water... and very occasionally the boat or another line.