E-Clip removal on 220 Reel

Started by kmstorm64, September 17, 2018, 05:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

Hi Folks, having a devil of a time removing the e-clip on 220, so I can install one of Alan's SS arms and a 3/0 handle. Anyone got a trick for removing the pesky thing?  I tired using my old pick but I can't the thing to pop off. Suggestions, tips, cool tool suggestions?
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

RUSTY OLD COLT

I use a small bladed screwdriver in one of the slots on the clip and twist . You may want to put the reel in a small plastic bag before you do it , it will help you to catch the clip if it goes flying.

bluefish69

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on September 17, 2018, 06:58:42 PM
I use a small bladed screwdriver in one of the slots on the clip and twist . You may want to put the reel in a small plastic bag before you do it , it will help you to catch the clip if it goes flying.

What this guy says to do OR a large jeweler's screw driver

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

reel man

Dental pick or sharp point awl, or press 2 small screw drivers against the edges of the e clip

kmstorm64

Quote from: reel man on September 18, 2018, 04:12:28 AM
Dental pick or sharp point awl, or press 2 small screw drivers against the edges of the e clip

Did that, I have two 220's and one came off easy peasy, the other one doesn't give me an area to get the point in on, well except for my index finger, but that didn't count, and the blood cleaned up quickly...Lol.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Can you post a picture ? is it a factory style clip ? Is there any corrosion in the clip groove ? I never had one that didn't pop right off by twisting a small screwdriver in the slot.

kmstorm64

No corrosion, just on there really tight. I have a G220 and it came off with little effort. This thing is the e-clip from hell, I suspect it may not be factory, as it doesn't seem to have a point where you can get a pick in there to latch on to it.

Next question, once you get off, does it really need to go back on?

franky

Quote from: kmstorm64 on September 20, 2018, 04:53:06 PM

I would say...yes, you should put it back on.  That c-clip suppose to hold the gear sleeve down to the plate.  If for some reason the handle nut should come loose and the gear sleeve happens to ride up the bridge plate shaft, you risk the dog becoming disengaged with the ratchet teeth on the gear sleeve.  Then your handle will go backwards.  :o

bluefish69

Quote from: kmstorm64 on September 20, 2018, 04:53:06 PM
No corrosion, just on there really tight. I have a G220 and it came off with little effort. This thing is the e-clip from hell, I suspect it may not be factory, as it doesn't seem to have a point where you can get a pick in there to latch on to it.

I would be happy to send you a NEW one that fits. Just need your info.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Bring it over to my house and let me take a look at it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Caseymcv

So where can I get these e-clips?  Or, can I use the screw down version with a new bridge plate or gear?

Newell Nut

I have serviced newels for several years now and never failed removing an e-clip with a small flat screwdriver. I can't tell you the size because I have not had to buy one but you can get them at Mcmastercarr.  https://www.mcmaster.com/e-clips

Jerry may be able to chime in with the correct size. There are some used ones on ebay as well.

Dwight

Donnyboat

Yes E clips or C clip I call them, yesterday I was working on the Olympic 750, that has a E clip, retaining a guide rail, as I was installing it, I placed a screw driver on the back of the clip, & aplied force, & the e clip disappeared, @ that moment, I thought I felt something touch my knee, so I look on the floor cant see anything, so sweep the floor, still nothing, Pat gets her vacuum cleaner out, runs that over the floor, we painstakingly, fondle through the Vacuum bag, still nothing, so I start looking for a replacement, that I was shore I did not have, & Pat said to me pass me the reel, she looks into the reel, & guess what, say know more, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bryan Young

I learned this from Alan and works with all types of c and e clips if you have access to the tips. I use a sharpened diagonal cutter as shown in the pictures. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D