name change to narrowed 114H

Started by reel man, September 18, 2018, 04:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

Here's some picks

Vintage Offshore Tackle

It's great to see you back in action Jerry!  I have two different versions of your one of a kind narrowed 114H 6/0s, and a couple of special width 349H's too, and your one and only 506HS with the special Newell spool, and my favorite, your International 12H converted to International 6 width, which is probably the 6 with the best  drag and free spool on the planet.

When I get home in a couple of weeks I will post some photos and I hope that they bring back some good memories for you.  You have created some amazing custom reels, and I hope to see many more Downie Specials in the future. 

Thanks,

Randy

I

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

that looks nice jerry

I know nothing about those narrow parts

can you tell me more about them

did you built them or where they for a newell and you modified them?
The Baja Guy

reel man

The base and bars were either Newell or Penn narrowed using a mill to cut them down to the desired width. The spool can be heated then the clicker hub can be unscrewed with a 17 mm, twelve point socket.  Then the spool can heated up to allow removing the spool shaft. The spool halves can be milled down to the desired width. The spool shaft can be milled down to the correct length.

After the spool shaft is milled to length it can be reinstalled in the spool and the clicker hub screwed back on the shaft to snug up the spool. It helps to have a couple of V blocks and dial indicator to verify the spool is spinning within .002 so there is no rubbing when the spool spins in the reel. Once it's verified the spool can be disassembled and epoxy applied to the spool shaft so the spool can be reassembled. At this time recertify the spool spins correctly.

Now you can assemble your reel.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS UNLESS YOU ARE A MACHINIST

MarkT

Where'd you get the Furball nameplates?  That name is a real blast from the past!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!