Penn 980 Non-Handle Side Spool Bearing

Started by hotajax, October 31, 2023, 06:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

Hi Dawn.  Nominal size for this bearing is 3.0988 mm ID, 9.4 mm OD, and 3.81 mm thick. 
Smooth Drag has a 3x10x4 mm in ceramic.  Is this the bearing I need?  Thank you. 

Correction:  This is for the Handle Side Spool Bearing

Bryan Young

Those bearings are normally in inches. I would remeasure the bearings in inches.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

hotajax

So here's the decimal equivalent, as given by a Penn Parts list:
0.122"  Converts to .3.0988 mm inside diameter
0.371"  converts to 9.4 mm outside diameter
0.15" converts to 3.81  mm thick

These are pretty precise numbers, and I don't see them on any bearing chart in such detail.  Wondering if 3x10x4 mm is the right size. 

JasonGotaProblem

When i finally send out your package in the next day or so I'll toss in some bearings of the size i listed above. If they don't fit like a glove I'll eat my hat.

hotajax

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 31, 2023, 02:46:17 PMWhen i finally send out your package in the next day or so I'll toss in some bearings of the size i listed above. If they don't fit like a glove I'll eat my hat.
Thanks.  I think it's all a question of rounding the decimals.  If they don't fit, I'd rather have someone put up a new roof. 

The 980 is weird.  One spool bearing is larger than the other.  I can find the exact metric size in ceramic for the larger bearing.  I may end up putting a ceramic at one end of the spool, and stay with stainless for the smaller bearing.  Unconventional, but it should work.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Is there supposed to be a spring inside the 980 left side bearing cap pushing the bearing against the spool shaft?

hotajax

Yes there is.  And there's a bronze washer with a flange that holds the spring ad post in the bearing cup.   Last item in the cup is a cover with knurled edges that has to hammered out.  You can't pull out the bearing until you remove the cover. 

ExcessiveAngler

We talking about a mag power 980 here?
I have two 980's that could use a service, and might wind up needing bearings!
Sounds like you guys are talking about the mag power bearings by your description of the endcap!
So you're saying they need to be hammered out!
Is that actually true?

JasonGotaProblem

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 01, 2023, 01:03:06 AMLike this?
Yes, sir!  Thought there might, be another Penn 980 model, but had a feeling I was wrong I've learned about so many different reels, that I didn't know about here lol
Have a 990, 2-980's, and 2-970's!
Suckers are definitely unruly, if you're not paying attention, but great reels.  Never did understand why they discontinued them?
So how you making out with that thing?

JasonGotaProblem

Me? I've probably held it for less than 5 minutes total. Seems cool though.

hotajax

Yes, indeed.  I still can't get my head around why Penn discontinued it.  It's my workhorse in the surf. 
Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on November 01, 2023, 12:02:01 AMWe talking about a mag power 980 here?
I have two 980's that could use a service, and might wind up needing bearings!
Sounds like you guys, are talking about the mag power, bars in the description of the endcap, needing to be hammered out!
Is that actually true?

Oh no, I wasn't talking about the mag bars.  I was talking about bearings  Yeah, the bearings are buried deep down.  The cover over them is what needs to be hammered out.   The way that I did it was to put a dental pick in my vice.  I wrapped the threads with electrical tape to protect them.  I loosely put a curved vice grips around it but snug enough that the pliers caught the flange.  I held the end cap with the pick pulling on the cover, and gave the vice grips a light tap with a small hammer.  I suggest having someone hold a bag under it all so you don't lose the cover.  It's not replaceable unless you wanto to buy the whole bearing assy. The spring inside won't go flying.  The bearings are different sizes.