Penn 349 Drag Washer Upgrade

Started by Tyee II, September 19, 2018, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyee II

Getting ready to go through some 349s I have and would like to know what is available in drag washers. Is there a decent upgrade to the stock washers ? Thanks in advance for your help

Keta

I had several sets gathering dust but they are gone now.  I need to have more cut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dawn

I don't have anything right now.
Dawn
Dawn

MQ1

Dawn,

Do you have any washer and drag kits available for a 349H? I have a pretty nice one that I'd like to spruce up and give to my boy for doing good in school this year.

MQ1

Keta

I have metal washers for the 349 but not the 349H.  I also have a few gears and yokes to convert from 349H to 349 and 349 to 349H.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MQ1

Keta,

What is the most foolproof way to determine a 349 vs. 349H?

The reel I have is red, has one lever, says 349 on the plate...and the drag washers/drags are approximately 3/16"-1/4" larger in diameter than the drag washers for a 113H.

The reel is in pretty amazing shape, having spent most of its life in a rubbermaid box.

MQ1

RowdyW

That's a 349H. A 349HC has double levers. The 349 has smaller diameter drags & gears than the H or HC.     Rudy

MQ1

Thanks for the confirmation...now to find or make the metal drag washers...😀

MQ1

RowdyW

There is information on how to use 113H drags in a 349H & HC somewhere on the forum. You will need to do a little searching.

MQ1

Thanks for the tip...my problem is everytime I search I find other cool things to do that cost me dearly...😂😂😂

This place is addicting 🤣

MQ1

handi2

I do think I have one of Dawn's kits. Yep I sure do. I'll get in the mail tomorrow. I have your address. The kit has everything. The metal washers and the Carbontex washers.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MQ1

Keith,

Many thanks for taking the time to check your goodie drawers! I'll make sure to have my boy help me put them in!

MQ1

mikeysm

Does anyone know where I can get the metal washers cut. I would like to make some kits available.

Mike

Keta

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: mikeysm on April 08, 2021, 05:51:56 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the metal washers cut. I would like to make some kits available.

Mike
Hi Mike,

If Dawan does not want to make them, my laser cutter can cut them, but the min. set up cost would be around $200 (I think) and I don't know how many parts I could get from the initial set-up cost.  If I get the drawings, I could send it to my laser cutter and get a quote for how many washers you would like to make of each (with some spares).  If I can get a main gear and gear sleeve so that they can adjust the cut to it fits perfect with some tolerance, that would help so that there's no rework that needs to be done.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D