Penn 349 Drag Washer Upgrade

Started by Tyee II, September 19, 2018, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I can supply the gear and materials. I have original washers as a template. We have to decide on thickness and the type of materials. Also should we make the fiber washers at the same time?

Mike

handi2

Quote from: MQ1 on March 27, 2021, 08:42:03 PM
Keith,

Many thanks for taking the time to check your goodie drawers! I'll make sure to have my boy help me put them in!

MQ1

It's finally on the way.. :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Around .030"-.040", I will measure a 349 washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

I took apart a reel to measure the thickness. The metal washers are .048 which is18 gage. The carbon washers are .040 thick. A total of 5 washers each.

Mike

MQ1

Quote from: handi2 on April 09, 2021, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: MQ1 on March 27, 2021, 08:42:03 PM
Keith,

Many thanks for taking the time to check your goodie drawers! I'll make sure to have my boy help me put them in!

MQ1

Thanks, Keith! I hope your feeling better.

MQ1

It's finally on the way.. :D

MQ1

Has anyone heard from Keith (handi2) lately? I know he was not feeling well and I've tried reaching out to him through PM, but have not gotten any response.

MQ1

Maxed Out

Quote from: MQ1 on May 13, 2021, 09:24:22 PM
Has anyone heard from Keith (handi2) lately? I know he was not feeling well and I've tried reaching out to him through PM, but have not gotten any response.

MQ1

I chatted with Keith about 2 1/2 weeks ago. He did mention he was moving to his new house in a month, so I'm guessing he's busy packing stuff for the move

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MQ1

Quote from: handi2 on March 27, 2021, 06:59:13 PM
I do think I have one of Dawn's kits. Yep I sure do. I'll get in the mail tomorrow. I have your address. The kit has everything. The metal washers and the Carbontex washers.

Keith

Keith, here is the finished product, and thanks for your support in getting this done.

Gabe did well in a tough year at school, and he just helped me rebuild this with the drag kit you supplied (and some additional goodies from Cortez Customs).

otghoyt

I need to cobble together something for my 349H.  Any thin drag washers from anyone following this thread?
Hoyt

Guppy

Hi
FYI  :fish

I came up with the idea of using the 349's for school bluefin fishing (hopefully not hooking a giant  ;) )
Local tackle shop predicts the stock drags will burn up,, that's my guess also...

last winter
I located and bought a sheet of 2.5mm thick carbon fiber online, drew a CAD file of the washers and had about 18 cut with a water jet... the three-stack set is almost identical in thickness to the OEM drags..

they cost me a little more than 10 buck a washer, heck of a lot less than new reels, plus I've owned these reels for 50 yrs and still use a couple every so often,,,
I call this poor mans tuna rods...  :-) (entry level ? )

Said to say I was unable to test them out this season,, ( it's called a skunk   >:( )

thought you folks might find this interesting...

Ray

God Bless America

God Bless America