Thorhammer's reels

Started by thorhammer, September 20, 2018, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Decided to start keeping up with the reels a bit better as I complete projects. The last week or so, I went through the red / maroon Jiggy's. Mostly stock; I changed handles, clamps, bars and replaced with carbontex.  I found a good way to limit the collection: the box holds exactly a dozen, barely. Note the ole-skool narrowed to 501 with Stren Gold, a favorite amber handle combo; 500S narrowed to 99 width with new SS posts from Mystic, and the S trio with handles from Ted, they make a really nice addition.

thorhammer

Boxed up for another day...

mo65

Great stable John! I love that 501...it's perfect! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

STRIPER LOU

Nice lineup John. A couple for every day of the week and then some!

.............Lou

basto

Nice John
Your reels remind me a bit of my reels. The only Penn I have with an alloy frame is a 113h.  I bought that frame before Tiburon stopped shipping to Australia.
I have a 501 I narrowed from a 500 and a 2/0 I narrowed from a 3/0.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

Thanks, gents!

Mo, I knew you'd like that Stren reel!

Greg, I don't own the first 501; all of mine were narrowed. I think my first three "mods", not counting two full Accurate reels, were two 501's with Newell bars and 49 stands, plus SS spools, and a LB 65 "Wide" I built from a 65 and leftover 112 spool and Jiggy bars and base.

Well, the box idea didn't last long: I turned around in the shop and there sits another 500S I put on a rod to spool up....swapped out 10-66 star received today and a 24-66 paddle handle, my own SS clamp stud kit, and new graphite clamp. The stock 500S is very capable, typically having steel main and chromed innards, and I spool with my preferred kingfish line, Hi Seas Quattro. As usual I put greased carbontex on the SS washers.

With the Mystic order today, tried to clear some more of the bench: during the hurricane, I dug in the parts bins and cobbled up a 113HL with red spool, save a main gear, dog and spacer,which Mo got me lickety-split. Who doesn't like those???

Sal, that steel gear is the one I mentioned when Dan and I were over; it's a few thousandths large and binds in every gear well in every plate I tried. I'll bring it for you to inspect next trip.

Also built up a stock Squidder with carbontex I gave my buddy for his 60th the other week; the one he had on the Magnafex I restored for him took to missing and he wanted one for our OBX trip next month.

thorhammer

mod, please right the ship; I save these as rotated several ways but no cigar.

Maxed Out

We all eventually fall into the perverberal rabbit hole....but Thorhamner crawled out of the rabbit hole long ago and now resides in the Lions den  8)  8)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!