Latest 10/0 - 12/0 insert kit

Started by Alto Mare, September 23, 2018, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just got done checking this kit and it did very well.

Basically this would be your layout, (5) Carbon Fiber and (5) metal washers

The new Carbon Fiber washers are 1.40mm in thickness

I don't remember the size of the older Keyed washers, these are 1.90mm

and the last Thick washer on top is 4.90mm

Adam mentioned some were having minor issues with the height of the stack and wanted to make adjustments...one of the reason he has me as well to check them out.
All fit in nicely, plenty of travel with the star and starts very soft. Mine is increasing a little quick, but I'm sure it's related to the older gear sleeve, those are a little thicker than the custom SS

I did some pulling tests, while  holding the reel in my hands at differenty point.
Drags felt a little rough at first, but got much smoother as I kept pulling.
I pushed it to around 50lb and decided that was good enough.

Carbon Fiber washers are much thicker and appear to be of a better quality, I don't believe these would fail under normal conditions.

I'm also showing my special tool to set the washers in

Adam did a good job making these washers really snug...that is how you would want them.
You will not find a better tool to push them in :), I use my chopsticks a lot when working on reels, especially bearings.

Best,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Looks great Adam and Sal!
Can't wait to try mine out!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Darin Crofton

Nice grouper digger you got there, Sal!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Reel 224

Sal: That special tool is in use in my repertoire of tools on my bench also, It has many uses. 8) ;D Thanks for sharing this.............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Three se7ens

Thank Sal!  That looks great.

The thin metal washers went from .060" to .074", and I increased the thick metal washer from .135" to .188"  A number of kits, especially on the last run needed to be shimmed with extra metal washers to bring the stack to the correct height.  I made the changes to address this, and will be using this as the standard for all the kits from now on. 

I will be filling orders for new kits first, and then I will have spare washer sets available.  As with all of my kits, it the ears failed or the washer came apart I will replace it at no charge.  These are a wear item, so I dont cover normal wear under that, but replacement cf washers will be available for purchase.

xjchad

Adam, Sal,
Do you recommend using Cal's on these kits or running them dry?

Three se7ens

xjchad

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 27, 2018, 08:08:40 PM
I always use Cals on my kits.

Adam,
That's what I figured.
The reason I'm asking is because of the eared carbon washers.
Wondering if that affects it in any way.
Thanks!
Chad

Alto Mare

Same here Chad, all reel I have get Cals, even the tiny washers.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Great work fellas...really nice kit! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 27, 2018, 08:51:42 PM
Same here Chad, all reel I have get Cals, even the tiny washers.

Sal

Thank you Sal!
I figured as much, just thought I'd check.  :)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Darin Crofton

Always enjoy reading about these drag threads, great work!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

TheReelShop

I have the older insert kit and in fact I had to use extra washers to compensate for the height. I did try to get a max drag on the reel. I tightened the star down good and got a whopping 79lbs. I've caught 2 sharks on this set up, not big sharks but nice enough and I have to say the reel is great overall with the drag kit. There's a sense of security fishing with the reel.. Definitely definitely hard to fish high drag haha. VERY!!
It's good to know the new drag discs are much more snugg and stronger as mines (first gen) already show wear..

handi2

Adam can attest that I have purchased and installed many of his insert kits. I have them in reels all over the NW of Florida and S Alabama.

When I noticed the drag washers ears wearing off I started puting them in dry. None of them have come back with a drag washer problem using them dry.  Penn put them in dry a lot longer than we have used them wet.

With the new thicker drag washers that eliminated the problems of the thinner greased washers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL