Newell logo reproduce?

Started by Fish67, September 24, 2018, 08:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish67

Does anybody sell or reproduce the Newell logos across the bars? It's for a 220-F.

Swami805

You mean the badge that snaps in the cross bar?  Not likely. The only model that had those I think were G's. Never seen a repo. If your's are funky looking it's not hard to clean them up
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fish67

Swami805

If you want to freshen them up mask around the badge (easier if you can get the badge out ,if you can) and spray it black, Stretch a piece of tee shirt material on a piece of wood or something flat. Put some laquer thinner on it and rub the badge on it.  The paint will rub off the raised silver part and the badges will look new. Credit to Jerry the reelman for that one,it works well!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Yogi_fish808

If this is for a reel with recessed letters like on the NL or S series just mask off as much as possible and use white spray paint to redo the labels. Just wipe off the overspray with a clothe and solvent. Be sure to clean out any gunk that has settled in there first, scrub it with a toothbrush and soap.

If it's for raised separate badges like on blackie, p and g reels follow Swamis advice.  Its impossible to redo the chrome perfectly but Ive touched them up with silver deco paint markers and seal it with 2 coats of clear.
Aloha,
Kyle

The factory silver paint was gone on these R550 badges before restoration.

Here's a G440 I redid with red badges like the early G reels

FishNinJay

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on September 27, 2018, 06:48:07 AM
If this is for a reel with recessed letters like on the NL or S series just mask off as much as possible and use white spray paint to redo the labels. Just wipe off the overspray with a clothe and solvent. Be sure to clean out any gunk that has settled in there first, scrub it with a toothbrush and soap.

If it's for raised separate badges like on blackie, p and g reels follow Swamis advice.  Its impossible to redo the chrome perfectly but Ive touched them up with silver deco paint markers and seal it with 2 coats of clear.
Aloha,
Kyle

The factory silver paint was gone on these R550 badges before restoration.

Quote from: Swami805 on September 25, 2018, 01:36:32 AM
If you want to freshen them up mask around the badge (easier if you can get the badge out ,if you can) and spray it black, Stretch a piece of tee shirt material on a piece of wood or something flat. Put some laquer thinner on it and rub the badge on it.  The paint will rub off the raised silver part and the badges will look new. Credit to Jerry the reelman for that one,it works well!

Any specifics on which paints (color codes, ordering info), for the black, red, or silver/chrome paints or spray/pens used to do these restos?  Nice work..

Fishead

Looks good but I can't help but thinking about something I heard said years ago. " fish don't care what it looks like ". I don't agree but there is some truth there.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Yogi_fish808

As far as specific products don't overthink it, if you fish them hard all the time the badges will get tired looking after a few seasons. For spray paint I stick to rustoleum, all badges get sealed with 2-3 light coats of clear. You can play around with specialty paints use for aerosol art/graffiti or plastic model paint as their pigments can be much richer with better coverage but at a higher price. For paint markers I only use DecoColor brand, imo they have the best pigment and coverage. The best results are 95% good prep of the surface, clean all grime, old flaking paint and oils off with solvent. while using paint markers to redo the raised parts you'll need a steady hand. Keep something around to wipe up mistakes before they dry, a folded paper towel with solvent works for me.

Newell Nut

Good info if you want to sell. I have a silly amount of Newells all over the house that never see action and they are all minty. The ones that I fish day in and day out look pretty good because I flood them after each trip with fresh water but wear shows on the badges which gives them character. ;D And as stated earlier the fish just don't care what the reel looks like. It is the performance that counts so keep them tuned and clean.

Dwight