Tranx 500 knob

Started by Mickeyfin, July 27, 2021, 03:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeyfin

I recently picked up a used 500 Tranx at a good price but the knob was swapped to a round Gomexus.
The original Tranx knob was included and looks normal to my eye. Is there a way to swap it back to the original. If so, how?

Thanks,
Mick

boon

The Gomexus knobs usually are direct-fit without changing the handle shaft. They often even use the original bearings.

Try unscrew the top half of the knob; the screw should be inside a central post and it should all come apart neatly.

Mickeyfin

Here's a couple of pictures of the knob. Nothings on top. Looks like I'd have to unscrew it at the seam with some kind of grips or jam a screwdriver in there and pop off the top?

MarkT

I put a Torium handle on one of mine then swapped the knob for one for a Stella 18k.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

Quote from: Mickeyfin on July 27, 2021, 04:01:39 AM
Here's a couple of pictures of the knob. Nothings on top. Looks like I'd have to unscrew it at the seam with some kind of grips or jam a screwdriver in there and pop off the top?

It unscrews at the seam. Just grip it firmly, maybe with a cloth on each side, although I wouldn't expect it's done up that tightly. I think they have an o-ring which may provide some initial resistance.

Cor

It will probably take some "engineering" to put the original knob back as it had to be drilled off, unless the original shaft is still in place as Boon said.

Should be easy to replace it together with handle.    Bear in mind that the original Shimano knobs are not very durable, the plastic/ruber cover comes adrift and they do not look very good after a while.

Perhaps some aftermarket knob is a better idea....just a thought.
Cornelis

Mickeyfin

Quote from: MarkT on July 27, 2021, 04:11:07 AM
I put a Torium handle on one of mine then swapped the knob for one for a Stella 18k.

Having no luck unscrewing the Gomexus. Which Torium handle model# fits?

Thanks, Mick

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Cor on July 27, 2021, 07:59:18 AM
It will probably take some "engineering" to put the original knob back as it had to be drilled off, unless the original shaft is still in place as Boon said.

500s knobs are screwed on with a bearing.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

MarkT

Quote from: Mickeyfin on July 27, 2021, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: MarkT on July 27, 2021, 04:11:07 AM

Having no luck unscrewing the Gomexus. Which Torium handle model# fits?

Thanks, Mick

A 16/20/30 handle is what I used.  It has a longer blank with a black knob!  There are a couple of holes so you can pick the length that works best for you.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

the gomexus may have loctite in the seam- you could try some heat, or drill an access hole in the end (I've had to do this, and it came out not too badly, actually) so you can get a screwdriver in there.

John

Cor

Quote from: Lunker Larry on July 27, 2021, 05:09:52 PM
Quote from: Cor on July 27, 2021, 07:59:18 AM

500s knobs are screwed on with a bearing.
I presume you mean you can screw it off, but leave the axel?    I did not look at it like that. ???

I can not find a schematic for a 500S?
Cornelis