Rigging the king Kandy for king Salmon

Started by gstours, January 25, 2018, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts,  the kenai Quik rod,  ?.. tell us more.   Thanks 🙏.

David Hall

Quote from: gstours on September 28, 2018, 08:35:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts,  the kenai Quik rod,  ?.. tell us more.   Thanks 🙏.

Gary, Kenai Kwik XCC is what Lamiglass is calling their top latest series of salmon steelhead rods.  The two blanks I picked up from Lamiglass cost about $10.00 less than they'll sell you a completed rod for. The two models I got are the XCC1064 and the XCC111,   They are both rated medium heavy power the 1064 being 10'6" blank and the 111 is 9'3".  They're glass composite at the butt and all glass at the top.  Load up really nice as you can see from the pic and even with barbless hooks he action is perfect for big salmon. I got one of each because I'm not sure which length I'm gonna like better and the other one will be for whoever is fishing with me at the time.  
  Jon wrapped them with 14 guides, spiraled wrapped its wonderful.

gstours

Thanks Dave, I,m assuming you are using this rod for down riggers,  correct?  I like the look of it loaded somewhat.   Who is a supplier for this blank?  Or finish ed rod?  I,m always looking for the perfect rod.🤦‍♀️🎣🚣‍♀️

David Hall

this rod is made by Lamiglass they were in Oregon. they're on the web and you can order from them online.  they are a bit pricey and I know Ted has found that Fenwick rods have a very similar action to these and I think that's what he's been using, i may be wrong,? maybe he'll post his opinion here for us.  I've been a lamiglass fan for awhile and use several other Lami rods for downrigger trolling as well as some G loomis GL2 rods, I have broken a GL2 or a friend did it for me, a big King took a dive under the boat and slammed the rod down on the rail and that was all she wrote for that rod, he got all depressed and I had to tell him to keep reeling!  we boated the fish a nice 26lber too, it took the sting out of the broken rod.  ive never broken one of the Lamis......yet.  these XCC rods are to new, ive only fished the 10'6" once, hooked and landed two nice kings.  the 9'3" rod is still under construction, waiting on parts last I checked in with Jon.  I was afraid the 10' rod might be to hard to maneuver on the deck to get the downrigger clips hooked up but my fear was unfounded.