Another 20/0 Shark Tank in the works...

Started by Alto Mare, October 06, 2018, 01:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

John ( 54Bullseye ), requested my service on his 20/0.

I finally got to hold that gorgeous handle

as speculated, it looks even better live. We could use another machinist here, especially one  with those skills.
John, see if Rollie would like to join us :). I thought my custom knob was pretty large, this one is about 1/2" longer

ok, back on the 20/0.
John requested the works, so of course it got the double dogs

[im
not sure what type of SS Tom uses for his dogs, but making the notch on one of them for the spring really gave me a tough time.
Good job on your quality product Tom!

bearings get packed as usual

one of the best tools I have, especially for these large reels.

Thanks for offering those to us Alan.

Here are some of the parts that went into this reel

Dogs from Tom, of course and the 14 washers kit from Mystic reel parts.
If you are going to use the 14 washers kit, it will be a little low on the gear, you will need to add another keyed washer.
On these reels I will also add a delrin washer on top of the heat shield, this allows you to move the star with one finger and still get the drags up there

John got my last set of steel gears and the chromed bridge with a tongue

the tongue helps keeping the main gear from tilting. Not sure it would really help, but it does make sense to me.
John saw it and wanted it.

I have a few options with the gear sleeves, Tom's and Alan's, both great product.
On this one I found an electra mate that I had in my bin, the reason I decided to use it is that it fits to perfection on these older bridge.

I'm probably going to regret getting rid of it, it is my last.
As the other reels I've done, the frame on this one is also tight, but should work just fine.
you will need to take your time when taking it apart and when assembling it.

As with all my reels, a Delrin under the main gear
and everything goes back in.

and this one is ready for anything out there

gorgeous and tough

Best,

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Nice work Sal, You've lifted the bar again! I think that's the neatest side plate modification I've seen yet - have you been using the end mill bit for long? With your expert touch, Tom's dogs, the steel gears, chrome bridge, 14 washer drag set and Rollie's handle, John has another great reel to add to his already amazing collection.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

54bullseye

$$$$$$$ is going out in an hour Sal looks like you did a great job !!!! Very clean work !  Can't wait to try it out and if and when the first Giant Tuna comes to gaff for keeps or release I will post pics of battle !!   Thanks again !    John Taylor

PS   Thanks again Lou for the beautiful red acrylic !!!  Also here is Rollie in his element !!!

Frank

That is some piece of work Sal. Beautiful!!!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! Pretty much the same routine, but I figured what a heck, since it is a 20/0 and it does come with one of the best handles I've seen, I decided to post some pics.

I forgot to mention Lou for his kindness of donating that beautiful acrylic, but John got it covered.

John, love that pic of Rollie, I wish I could hang at his shop sometime :)

Not sure You'll see this Rollie, I love your work!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I don't think it can get any better than that!
Great work.
Life is Good!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Great work Sal! We have a multitude of talented people here, I for one am happy I latched on to this site. I have picked up a lot of knowledge over the years.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Darin Crofton

Another great build, Sal, and of course the handle is spectacular!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Dominick

Good work as usual paisano.  The photo of Rollie is a classic.  If you called down to central casting for a machinist you would get someone that looks just like that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Always impressed with your work and attention to detail, Sal.
John, That reel is a beast... I hope you get a monster on it to showcase the reel, your creativity, and Rollie and Sal's skills.
Thanks for showing how it's done.
Dom

droppedit

Glad you posted the insides of that real. That compliments the rest of the quality work that has gone into that 20/0. Great work as usual Sal.

John, the picture of Rollie is great, just as I imagined him. Now if he has a slight Maine accent.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

54bullseye

I spent two hours at Rollie's today his is a wealth on knowledge and a hot #### !!!   John Taylor

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on October 06, 2018, 06:07:30 PM
Great work Sal! We have a multitude of talented people here, I for one am happy I latched on to this site. I have picked up a lot of knowledge over the years.

Joe 
You are correct Joe and I do not belong in the same category as some of these guys though.
Lot's of people with lots of talent here.

Here is a somewhat similar handle made from Adam ( Three Se7ens ).

This titanium arm  was made special for me about 7-8 months ago and it is massive in thickness.
I customized this 16/0 for someone and he happened to see it and had to have it

I contacted Adam prior to letting it go and he said he had another chunk and was going to make me one.

I hope he's just too busy and that I will eventually get a replacement.

Sal

Donnyboat

Great work Sal, thanks for posting, looks great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat