Prototype Pro Gear Reel

Started by eguinn, October 09, 2018, 06:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eguinn

Hey guys it been a while since i been on here. I picked up what I think may be a prototype pg reel.i thought i was buying a pg 255, fine i get the reel & notice the star has 2 go a long ways b4 the drag will lock up. Fine i tear it apart & boy there where some surprises, good 1's at that. Heres what I found & was wondering about the prototype status. after pulling it apart i start checking some things, its not a 255 buts the exact same size as a penn 501 ok, just like a narrow 545, same exact style of frame, sideplates, everthing, only thing visably different from a 545 is it doesn't have the bigger bump 4 the gears like the 545's have. Its a lot narrower, it measures 15/8 wide spool. Now heres the interesting stuff on the inside, drag stack is all wrong so off that comes & low & behold is a Penn 4/0 main gear set up 4 a 3.25-1 gear ratio, brass in good shape,4/0 gear sleeve & star,& yoke. I put a 5 stack back in it & after adjust a couple of washers everything works fine. It doesnt look like there is enought room 4 a 4-1 gear set cuz they r larger in diameter. Spool width is 1 5/8 wide. Everything in this reel looks like factory PG parts. I dont know the history behind this 1, but I'll say this there aint a scratch on it any where, might b brand new reel. I'll post up pics tomorrow. Matbe u gys can help figure out the model. 1 thing 4 dead certain its not even close 2 looking like a classic series PG reel if that helps, totally diiferent look 2 it like a narrow 545 reel. thanks ed

Darin Crofton

Sounds very interesting for sure! I love pg's, I have 9 of them and am buying more in the future. Can't wait to see some pics when you have time. Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

gstours

Mr Eguin, can you post some pictures of this narrow thing?  Sounds like a great little reel.  Tanks. ;)

Maxed Out

What you have is a pro gear 545. Sounds like someone absconded on the original high speed gears and put stock Penn gears in it... The 545 came with 4/1 113h gear set, and 545 is exact same dimensions described here in original post.

PS...pro gear 4/1 gear set is same diameter as stock 113h gear set.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

How do you know this stuff???   :o  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

xjchad

Quote from: Dominick on October 09, 2018, 10:11:04 PM
How do you know this stuff???   :o  Dominick

LOL, I was thinking the same thing!  :D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Maxed Out

First generation pro gear reels were based on Penn internals..,.plus I currently own 3 of the 545 and couple 541. Both are jigmaster magnums

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

eguinn

I talked 2 Wes down at Kens Custom Reels & he confirmed what Max said its a 545. thanks guys