Spirit Of Adventure Tracking. Heading north!

Started by tenderloin, October 09, 2018, 08:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

Question???? I've been on a couple long range trips and naturally had to pay for the Mexican permits but I have a question. If I come from out of state and the boat fishes in California waters, does the boats license cover me or do I have to obtain a California license prior to fishing? In Florida the charter/head boats cover the license requirements for non residents. On my trips we always went to Mexican waters before fishing but in the event that they didn't I was just wondering what the ramifications were.

Dominick

Quote from: conchydong on October 10, 2018, 11:38:52 PM
Question???? I've been on a couple long range trips and naturally had to pay for the Mexican permits but I have a question. If I come from out of state and the boat fishes in California waters, does the boats license cover me or do I have to obtain a California license prior to fishing? In Florida the charter/head boats cover the license requirements for non residents. On my trips we always went to Mexican waters before fishing but in the event that they didn't I was just wondering what the ramifications were.

You need a Non-resident fishing license to fish in California waters.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

The boat will charge you for the license. They did it on my 10 day for those without CA licenses.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

joel8080

They must have there transponder off it shows they haven't moved an inch all day and the last time it shows was 8 something this morning.
Oceanside,California

Swami805

I think they use that AIS system and they can turn it off to go stealth but they're not supposed to. I'm not sure if it shows their last position when they turn it off until they turn it back on? Wouldn't suprise me if they stayed on the anchor all day though, they might have a plunker bite going getting the fish to come through their chum. There's been alot of boats there and might not want to lose their spot.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

It seems like they all turn AIS off when they get into Mexican waters. Is it required in US waters but not down south?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

joel8080

Position shown was at 3:31 am PST. So they must have it off again.
Oceanside,California

conchydong

Quote from: Dominick on October 10, 2018, 11:41:48 PM
Quote from: conchydong on October 10, 2018, 11:38:52 PM

You need a Non-resident fishing license to fish in California waters.  Dominick

Quote from: MarkT on October 11, 2018, 12:27:49 AM
The boat will charge you for the license. They did it on my 10 day for those without CA licenses.

Thanks, guys.

Scott

joel8080

We arrived in Bogota Colombia for our Grandsons Wedding, I watching SOA trip. We will be back Wed as after 21 trips we found out my wife cannot handle the 8500 ft elevation of Bogota even though she was born and raised there.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

tenderloin

SOA back on tracking  Heading north. Currently south of El Rosario 9+ knots...

Ron Jones

So,
I've been an AIS administrator / operator since it's inception. Understandably, I've had to know exactly when to turn it on and off. Technically, SOA can use a class B device in the US because it is engaged in fishing operations. Class B devices have much lower transmission power than class A devices. If you've ever had Clemente shadow a ship to shore communication then you can understand why class B AIS doesn't cut it.

AIS passes it's location, and by default all other ships that particular transponder knows about. So, often fishing vessels will piggy back off each other until they find a class A required vessel that sends all the data to the world with their extra 7.5 watts of power. Usually a merchant or a destroyer heading in or out of San Dog for the Point Loma fleet.

The internet enabled AIS database will hold a vessel at its last location for a specified period of time (12 hours if I remember correctly.) AIS was designed to find boats that might have WMD on board and so the 12 hours gives the Coasties a chance to chase down a suspicious vessel.

The SOA stayed in one place on AIS until someone else picked them up. Mexico has different AIS exemptions. My guess is that all fishing vessels are completely exempt. Their maritime rules are unbelievably corrupt and you wouldn't want poachers that are giving the government a kick back prosecuted by another branch of the government, would you?

And that's more than anyone wants to know about AIS.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ReelFishingProblems

Ron,

That is actually fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.

Nick

tenderloin