Ryoko reels - unheard of on this board?

Started by MadKev, October 11, 2018, 09:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadKev

Hi Troops, Ryoko LD reels are coming into the UK now, but I've got one on my bench that's driving me crazy and the published schematic for their Borka 200R is definitely not the internals of this one.  Searching this board gets me nowhere yet. My big issue is that I can get a great freespool when out of the frame, but as soon as I reframe it and advance the drag lever the freespool never returns, just down to about one second spin is all.  Any generalised advice, or a link to a better schematic, would be really helpful if anybody has it.  I've tried searching for Ryoko company HQ, but all I'm getting is far east tackle shops. Grateful for any help, MK

foakes

Hi Kev —

Not being familiar with the Ryoko — however, knowing that most LD reels have the same principles with the exception of the Tiburons...

Are you assembling the reel with the lever back to freespool — and the freespool knob in the free position?

Then adjusting the freespool knob with the lever in freespool to your desired drag pounds at strike?

If not, this could be the issue — as well as someone else improperly fiddling with the knob and lever — possibly damaging the mechanisms.  About half of the anglers out there do not understand how to adjust freespool on a LD reel — and generally it is an easy fix by going back to freespool for the lever and the knob.  And never adjusting the FS knob while the lever is at strike or full.

When bringing up the knob pressure — I generally set my strike target drag at 30% of the line test by using a poundage scale connected directly to the line when the reel is mounted to a solid object like a line winder or a reelholder jig mount.  This is just a straight line setting — not using a rod.

You likely already know all of this — but it never hurts to ask.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

captainmmm

Hi MadKev, I can help with that as I service and fix all kind of Rhino and similar reels every other day. I will look for a diagram but it will be quite hard as I just moved house and everything is in boxes. I do know these reels inside out and never use a diagram. You can send me pics of the reel disassembled and can guide you through of you like. My email is jeorjech@gmail.com so shoot an email and will sort the problem out. Initial thoughts on problems are maybe a seized spool bearing or wrong assembly if you opened the reel. Minor issue can help you in no time

oc1

Quote from: MadKev on October 11, 2018, 09:00:54 PM
Any generalised advice,
Don't expect to get good free spool from a lever drag reel.
-steve

Bryan Young

Quote from: oc1 on September 17, 2019, 11:40:49 PM
Quote from: MadKev on October 11, 2018, 09:00:54 PM
Any generalised advice,
Don't expect to get good free spool from a lever drag reel.
-steve
I beg to differ Steve.  LD reels provide excellent free spool if it's set up right. 

There are several things that could be the culprit, but I suspect that adding a spool bearing sleeve between the spool bearings to help support the side load of the avial bearings will help out your free spool. The spool sleeve bearing needs to be a hair longer than the normal resting position of the spool bearings when installed in the reel.  See https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=138.0.

Second thing are our bearings...they are likely packed with grease...which could be fine depending on the type of fishing you are doing.  If you are trolling, packed spool bearings are just fine.  If fly lining live bait, then cleaning out the spool bearings with IPA, Acetone, Carb cleaner,... drying , then lubing with your best oils will help increase your free spool.

Pressure plate position - some reels, the pressure plate interferes with the drag cover of the spool, while others rub against lightly on the drag surface.  This becomes a little more complicated. I suggest you try 1 and 2 above and let's see how your reel performs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D