Tutorial how to turn your 114 senator into an underhead reel the easy way

Started by steelfish, September 28, 2018, 12:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: Decker on September 28, 2018, 08:22:10 PM
What is the point of an underhand conventional reel?  To eliminate the need for acid-wrapped rods? :P
Lower center of gravity and balance.  The reel does not want to roll over.
-steve

RowdyW

Quote from: steelfish on September 28, 2018, 06:57:12 PM
all joke aside, it would be fun to try this out with a 113h (so we can tell Ted if it worked )  ;D

113h tani kit could be a contender cuz its xtra narrow but not sure if the bar in the frame gets in the way of the line (depending on the angle of the picture) but it looks like the almighty Baja Special bar on the frame is not on the way of the line when "underhead" way.

With the line coming off the bottom of the spool it will run under the crossbar. ;D

broadway

I've watched every episode of that show and love all the different techniques one can learn.  The jack pole is my favorite to watch and find it amazing that these guys can get out of bed the next day, none the less do it over and over again day after day.  Yeah, the captain of the TNT is one grimy dude, but he puts the fish on the deck.
I also noticed the upside down 9/0 they use and wondered how the guides don;t get ripped off??
I'm surprised by how good of a show it is... they're usually all drama and talking with little fishing but not so far with this one.
Dom

steelfish

Quote from: RowdyW on September 28, 2018, 05:03:20 PM
It looks like battlefish is using a 115 9/0 under the rod by the way half the turnbuckles are swinging from the second set of lugs. Notice also that now the line comes off of the bottom of the spool instead of the top.            Rudy

good eye Ruwdy,
at first I though it was a old 114 black sideplates but you're right, its a 9/0 with the turnbuckles still attached.

@ Dom, yep, its a nice TV show, those grumpy old guys have no love for the sport fishermen team
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: broadway on September 29, 2018, 04:46:58 PM

I also noticed the upside down 9/0 they use and wondered how the guides don;t get ripped off??

Dom

Dom, I have a rod I built fairly recently for testing to see how lite I could build the blank. I went with an acid rap & used single foot running guides. the saves the weight of the added epoxy on the blank. After several fish & pulling repeatedly with 20 lbs. of drag not one guide has popped.

Completely understand the thinking.   However  I think most would be very surprised the force it would take to pull proper double foot guides, double rapped guides from the blank... Jeff 

UKChris

I'm only surprised more right-handed guys haven't done this already. It allows you to hold the rod in your stronger hand/arm, as you would with a fixed spool reel set-up (oh, I think you'd call it a spinning reel).

Plenty of old big-game reels in the UK were made to hang under the rod (e.g. the Hardy Fortuna) and even giant bluefin tuna couldn't pull the guides off.

Me, being left-handed, found that almost all standard multiplier reels are made for guys like me. I can hold the rod in my left hand, using my stronger arm. My right hand only has to turn the handle, and it only goes one way - easy-peasy!

But the problem with dangling reels, as you say, is not being able to see and spread the line.