A New Take On 6/0 Double Dogs

Started by xjchad, October 11, 2018, 09:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Well I'm building a low (read as "no") budget 114H that I plan to load with 100 lb braid and use for kayaking big baits out off the beach.
This will be new for me since I've always casted all my baits.
Anyway, I looked at some of the ways that double dogs have been done here and decided on another option.
I mainly chose this route because I'm try to use what I have on hand and not spend any money on it.
The other reason is that I really like mounting the dogs on the bridge versus on the bridge screws since it's a lot easier to install.
Of course, I will be clearancing the side plate a bit.
I have a Motive Fab Insert kit that I'll be using and I'm saving up for a stainless gear sleeve to go with it.
All feedback is welcome!

Husband, Father, Fisherman

David Hall

I like where your going with this.  I don't think I'd risk putting Adams insert kit in there until you have the stainless sleeve though.  Those dogs will wear at the brass sleeve and adding that incredible drag pressure you will get with the insert kit, at least use it on light pressure while the brass is still in it!  Should be smooth like melted butter.

handi2

On the 114H reels I do it what I think is an easier way.

I leave the gear sleeve off the bridge. I set the completed main gear with the gear sleeve intact. I set this unit in the opening and install the double dogs and springs.

I then slide the bridge straight down and into the gear sleeve. Super easy.

Just remember to put the pin back in :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

Looks sweet Chad! I notice you went with alternating dogs...I love the sound from those. Simultaneous is the way to go for max power, but those big 114H size dogs in stainless steel are very strong when crammed into a ss ratchet...even one at a time. With the insert kit and ss sleeve you'll have a powerful tool there. Three cheers for the low-buck build! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mhc

Looks good Chad, I like the the idea of using screws for the spring posts.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

Nice Chad, I've never done a DD upgrade and my 114H was going to be my first victim but was going to dremel the side plate. I like what you've done better but it's above my pay grade. I'll have to check it out next time I see you,hopefully soon!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

What'er you using for dog posts, and spring posts. Are the d. posts peened or screwed? And what size taps are you usin?
I godda ss 114H bridge layin round if you want it. However it's onea those AT variations with the squared teeth on the bottom. PM mailing info if interested. Seems to work fine as a double dogger and sounded really cool "CLACK, CLACK, CLACK!..."
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JRD

Chad I've got 500 meters of hi vis yellow braid.   It's new, I just took it off the spool to wash a bit of the dye off.  It's generic but free is a good price. Let me know and I will send it off to you.

Swami805

I have a 5lb spool of 130 momoi mono if you need a top shot
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Don't know if it is an option,  but supporting the dog post on both sides (even if one side is bakelite) is most likely going to be stronger.  I would consider using bridge screws for the dog posts.

-J

xjchad

Quote from: David Hall on October 11, 2018, 09:28:01 PM
I like where your going with this.  I don't think I'd risk putting Adams insert kit in there until you have the stainless sleeve though.  Those dogs will wear at the brass sleeve and adding that incredible drag pressure you will get with the insert kit, at least use it on light pressure while the brass is still in it!  Should be smooth like melted butter.

Thanks David!  I will be sure to keep the drag set light until I can get the stainless sleeve.

Quote from: handi2 on October 11, 2018, 09:36:13 PM
On the 114H reels I do it what I think is an easier way.

I leave the gear sleeve off the bridge. I set the completed main gear with the gear sleeve intact. I set this unit in the opening and install the double dogs and springs.

I then slide the bridge straight down and into the gear sleeve. Super easy.

Just remember to put the pin back in :D

Keith, great idea, thank you!

Quote from: mo65 on October 11, 2018, 09:45:52 PM
  Looks sweet Chad! I notice you went with alternating dogs...I love the sound from those. Simultaneous is the way to go for max power, but those big 114H size dogs in stainless steel are very strong when crammed into a ss ratchet...even one at a time. With the insert kit and ss sleeve you'll have a powerful tool there. Three cheers for the low-buck build! 8)

Thanks Mo!  I went back and forth between making the dog alternate or sync.  I like the sound of the alternating dogs, but now I'm thinking for this one the strength of synced dogs may be better.

Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 11, 2018, 10:02:34 PM
Awesome, great job Chad!

Thanks Darin!

Quote from: mhc on October 11, 2018, 10:47:33 PM
Looks good Chad, I like the the idea of using screws for the spring posts.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Quote from: Swami805 on October 11, 2018, 11:57:38 PM
Nice Chad, I've never done a DD upgrade and my 114H was going to be my first victim but was going to dremel the side plate. I like what you've done better but it's above my pay grade. I'll have to check it out next time I see you,hopefully soon!

Thanks Sheridan!  For sure, let's do lunch soon!

Quote from: Gfish on October 12, 2018, 12:19:44 AM
What'er you using for dog posts, and spring posts. Are the d. posts peened or screwed? And what size taps are you usin?
I godda ss 114H bridge layin round if you want it. However it's onea those AT variations with the squared teeth on the bottom. PM mailing info if interested. Seems to work fine as a double dogger and sounded really cool "CLACK, CLACK, CLACK!..."

Thanks G!!  That's really kind of you!  I'll PM you my address!
I'll do a more detailed reply with more info soon.

Quote from: JRD on October 12, 2018, 01:26:23 AM
Chad I've got 500 meters of hi vis yellow braid.   It's new, I just took it off the spool to wash a bit of the dye off.  It's generic but free is a good price. Let me know and I will send it off to you.
Quote from: Swami805 on October 12, 2018, 01:48:21 AM
I have a 5lb spool of 130 momoi mono if you need a top shot

Thank you guys!  I'll gladly use it!  That should spool it up about perfect!

Quote from: jurelometer on October 12, 2018, 03:29:21 AM
Don't know if it is an option,  but supporting the dog post on both sides (even if one side is bakelite) is most likely going to be stronger.  I would consider using bridge screws for the dog posts.

-J

"J", you're right in that anytime you can mount something in double shear it will be stronger.  In this case, I have the dog posts counter sunk into the bridge with a press fit and screwed on from the back side of the bridge so I believe it will be plenty strong.  The only way to find out for sure though is to test it  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mike1010

Nice, innovative work.  Thanks for showing it.  I can't make out the dog posts, though.  Are they peened, or what?   How do they relate to the bridge screws that used to be there?

On the issue of synchronized vs. alternating dogs, there was a discussion a few years ago.  Sal was advocating for synchronized dogs, and finally was convinced that there is no such thing as dual dogs synchronized closely enough to provide the strength hoped for.  I think that's true.  (Haven't found the thread yet.)

--Mike

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures and ideas. 🚣‍♀️ There's some thing about learning that's fun. I'm still learning and sharing your thoughts is great 👍.   More of us have a dime than a dollar 💵🤦‍♀️