Some POW pics for Gary - Coho City

Started by Steve-O, October 12, 2018, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Hey Gary, as per your request.

Here's some pics of the POW island Coho I fished 4 weeks ago. Yes, we did get into them....every day...6 fish limit. Weights were averaging 8 pounds or there abouts. Some bigger, some smaller.

Steve-O

...and a couple more. Sure are good eating! ;D.... After, of course, the mandatory 7 day freeze to kill ALL the little parasites. I have grilled, made salmon salad and sushi galore for the family and me!! :)

David Hall

Nice haul of pink meat there.  Fantastic adventure.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  Coho will be on my to "do more and better list."
  I wish we could slow down the summer and speed up the winter.   It looks like you're river fishing?  
       Tell us what you caught them on, and etc.   thanks again 🙏🎣

Dominick

Steve-O you not only made Gary happy with those pics butt a bunch of us also.  I love your enthusiasm on Alaskan fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Darin Crofton

This makes me very hungry... great catch!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

gstours

Tanks steevo again for sharing your trip with us all.  Were you spinning rod it on the river?  I wish I had more time to fish the fly rod more,  butt the spinner works for me better here.  Good eating fish there buddy,   smoked salmon dip anybody? :D

Steve-O

Thanks, guys!  Dominick - fishing in Alaska is like a week long of "Kids on their birthday or Christmas morning" ...only it's Me and the presents are fishies! But the biggest gift is just being there. You've been so you know.

Gary, river fishing it is.  Spinning and casting gear is the norm. I use Okuma and Abu Garcia reels, PowerPro braided line and a variety of spinners like Mepps & Vibrax plus spoons like Pixxees.  The last couple of years bait has been approved so it's very simple to toss cured roe out and reel in a fish.

The Klawock River is where I fish for the most par and the ocean right around the mouth of the river. It's only a mile long and the fish are both wild run and hatchery supported Coho salmon. Plus Humpies, Chum, Sockeye and a very few Kings now and then. And Trophy Steelhead. Pretty much custom designed for the visiting sportsmen, locals, charter fleet and commercial guys. The hatchery feeds 2 million smolt into various freshwaters around Craig and Klawock ( pronounce the 'a' as a long 'o' like go and the 'o' as in clock ). Then they expect a return of 200,000 nice healthy adult Silver Salmon. Plenty for everyone. ;D

Smoked salmon dip = Yum, Yum. I do a hot smoke which is quicker and then heat some cream cheese to blend with it until the mixture is dip-able. Then I put it in a bowl with a raspberry jalapeño glaze over the top of that and let it set up overnight in the fridge. Served at room temp so it's not too stiff. my mouth is watering right now. Good thing I'm having Salmon Salad fish tacos for lunch today. Soft tortillas, sliced avocados, Tabasco® pepper sauce and the salmon salad.  ;D