Daiwa BG floating shaft upgrade

Started by bhale1, October 14, 2018, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

Will this upgrade seal the gap that can allow water into the pinion assembly as mentioned by John Tuttle in his take-down post?

I was also wondering ---does this mean that without the upgrade the floating shaft is an inherent weakness in the Daiwa BGs?  In any event it looks like good insurance and I hope you'll also make it to fit some of the smaller BGs.

bobleflounder

Quote from: handi2 on October 17, 2018, 09:23:33 PM
I dont think the new Slammer III needs any modification.
I thought it didn't have a floating shaft, at least from the schematics I've seen. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong size?
Quote from: wfjord on October 18, 2018, 04:01:48 PM
Will this upgrade seal the gap that can allow water into the pinion assembly as mentioned by John Tuttle in his take-down post?

I was also wondering ---does this mean that without the upgrade the floating shaft is an inherent weakness in the Daiwa BGs?  In any event it looks like good insurance and I hope you'll also make it to fit some of the smaller BGs.
No, that is under the rotor and to fix that it would require more modification than its worth. If you try to use an oring in between the underside and the rotor it results in too much resistance which negates the benefits of a floating shaft. I haven't tried using a quad seal there yet though.

mickm56

Hi bobleflounder
This upgrade is a must have for me as i saltwater abuse my 2 x 5000 BGs
My problem is Amazon will not ship to Australia am i able to purchase direct from you
Regards
Mick

orsteelheader

Quote from: bobleflounder on October 17, 2018, 02:34:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you guys think the mod is useful. Like I said before, I am mostly doing this to get the manufacturers attention to consider putting higher-end features that don't cost that much money to add, like a floating shaft, into their cheaper reels. I haven't been doing anything to try to get their attention lately as I've been really busy with school and finishing a fly reel design. The spinfisher 6/slammer 3 looks like it can accept a similar mod so once I finish up the 8000 version I will try to cover the Penns.
philaroman, I wish I could offer more options, but I don't sell enough/have enough time to stock all the different combinations, but I will be sure to include an extra O ring in the next ones I send out.
Gfish, It doesn't feel smoother when you reel it under no pressure but under load, the difference is pretty dramatic. If I ever get time I will try to put out a video.
bhale, if you want to test it out remove the spool and tie on a piece of 50lb mono to the end of the main shaft and get a friend to pull down while you try to crank in, and compare with and without the mod. I would definitely not do it on a rod, at least indoors. I did that and it did not go well....
Glos, yeah I posted a thread about it on SOL and it got taken down for a bit because of the commercial links but I worked it out with Tim and it is up again. If it is against the rule to mention commerical links/other forums here I would be happy to work out a deal with Alan for this site. I am making about $2-3 (depending on how large of a batch I make) per part because this is more of a fun project to me, and imo, the more people who know what can be done with cheaper reels, the merrier

Any chance of doing this mod on a 4000 sized reel?

Thanks,
Jay
Enjoy the ride!!!

Chuck750ss

That is definitely having your thinking cap on! Great idea. I sometimes have these great ideas also. Only mine usually don't work out in real life. ;) Give yourself a pat on the back and if you come up with something like this for the Slammer 3 and Spinfisher vi I would definitely be interested in trying one out!

Dave Bentley

Hi bobleflounder
I would also like to purchase this Mod for my BG 5000.

Also my problem is Amazon will not ship to Australia am i able to purchase direct from you
Regards

Dave Bentley
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Dave Bentley

Quote from: mickm56 on February 15, 2019, 06:24:32 AM
Hi bobleflounder
This upgrade is a must have for me as i saltwater abuse my 2 x 5000 BGs
My problem is Amazon will not ship to Australia am i able to purchase direct from you
Regards
Mick

Hi Mick,
Did you get a response to your request.
Dave Bentley

mickm56

Hi Dave
No i havent received any response
Mick

Dave Bentley

Dave Bentley

Hi Bobleflounder,
wondering when I can expect a response to my request.

Just need to know if you can post it to me in an envelope if I pay you via direct deposit or paypal.

Thanks Dave Bentley

Quote from: Dave Bentley on February 16, 2019, 08:49:52 AM
Hi bobleflounder
I would also like to purchase this Mod for my BG 5000.

Also my problem is Amazon will not ship to Australia am i able to purchase direct from you
Regards

Dave Bentley

Dave Bentley

Hi, Are these kits still available and can I get one shipped to Australia.

oc1

From his profile:

Name:  bobleflounder
Position:  Member
Date Registered:  May 19, 2018, 02:58:33 PM
Last Active:  April 07, 2019, 07:41:30 AM

-steve

bhale1

Dave, and Mick
check your PM inbox
Brett

bhale1

mickm56,
Have you checked your message inbox?
Brett

bhale1

Hey Mick
Hey Mate, just may have a kit available😁....but don't know if you know how to respond to messages? If not just let me know here....
Gooday mate...
Brett