Daiwa BG floating shaft upgrade

Started by bhale1, October 14, 2018, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgoldstein78

any sources for this upgrade?

Can't find it on Amazon US.
- Dan -

dgoldstein78

just reached out to bob and am hoping they're still offering these for sale somewhere since they're no longer on Amazon.

Otherwise, I have a friend who could CNC a bunch of these if the CAD file is available.
- Dan -

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

Any of you folk have data from testing this, before and/or after? 

The extra support of the main shaft on this customization is coming from transferring load from the main shaft to the pinion via the the rotor. If flex in the main shaft is binding the one way bearing or causing spool scraping on the rotor, then this type of change  might help. But if pinion alignment is the weakest link...  not so sure.

There should already be some main shaft support nearby from the pinion, or is there a generous clearance between the pinion and the main shaft?

I am personally a bit more comfortable on an upgrade when we can demonstrate some sort of improvement during operation. Removing the spool and testing shaft flex is not the best test.

If we can confirm a useful fix, and the original producer has moved on, it would not be to hard to do something along the same lines, maybe better.  The part itself is just 3D printed.

-J

jurelometer

Short version:

This upgrade sort of replicates the feature available on the Saltiga that minimizes extra winding-under-load resistance caused by rubbing of the flexing shaft on the pinion hole.  But the upgrade is missing a friction reducing sleeve, so some, or maybe even more  resistance is introduced by the flexing shaft sliding along the new bearing race.  Secondly, the gear train and anti-reverse in the BG may not be strong enough to be able to wind under loads where shaft flexing is enough of an issue.

I think that this one really should be tested a bit before we get too excited about it.

Long version:

This one bothered me a bit, so I just  wasted an hour of my life looking at the Alan Hawk breakdowns and ruminating. I think I understand better now.

Here are some links to photos from Alan Hawk's site.  First the BG pinion support:

Next, the bearing/rotor nut combo and plastic sleeve on the Saltiga

Both the BG and the Saltiga have the pinion fully supported via ball bearings nesting in the main body.  So the pinion is well supported in both reels. 

The Saltiga has an additional ball bearing inside of the rotor nut to help prevent any flexing on the shaft from rubbing the wall of the pinion hole. Inside of that bearing is a plastic bushing/sleeve to allow the shaft to slide back and forth without rubbing on the inner bearing race.  The BG does not have the bearing and sleeve.  So the potential upgrade in this this thread is a similar approach, with a bearing but without the plastic sleeve.

The Saltiga has an aluminum bronze main and a stainless pinion, while the BG has zinc and brass, plus the one way bearing in the BG is muss less substantial, so you are not going to want to wind under as much load on the BG. 

A small amount of extra friction when winding under load may not be ideal, but also may not be that noticeable, as you are already winding against load. 

Daiwa must not have been expecting THAT much flexing load on the Saltiga shaft, as that plastic (probably nylon) bushing would have deformed from any significant load. So we are probably protecting against some rubbing, and not outright binding. Plus if there was that much rubbing against the sleeve, we would be reintroducing friction when winding, sort of negating the point of the feature.

In order for this BG upgrade to be beneficial, the reel would need to be able to support enough winding load that the  spool shaft flex would be substantial, but at the same time this flex would not introduce significant new resistance as the flexing shaft rubs against the new bearing race as it oscillates.

If I am right, that would put this feature in more in the ease-of-use category, and not an upgrade that strengthens the reel. It still might be a useful feature if it makes winding the reel noticeably smoother or less effort when winding against the same load. 

The main test for this upgrade would be winding against the same heavy load, before and after customization.  If you can't feel much of a difference with the customization, it is not helping much. 

Not saying that this customization might not end up being an improvement, just that it is not a slam dunk case.

Or at least, that is how I see it.

-J