Old School Line Dryer

Started by Maxed Out, October 17, 2018, 10:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

A lot of us collect old reels and related items from same era. This would fall into the fishing related category, and never hear much at all about them.

Prior to invention of monofilament, all line was derived from materials that absorbed water. Leaving wet line on a reel spelled disaster for metal surfaces, and weakened line, so most reel manufacturers recommended a line dryer. A simple hand powered gizmo designed to easily remove wet line and rinse and dry. This also helped the line last longer.

I've had one for a while and just wanted to show what a decent size one looks like. They can vary greatly in size. This one is over 30" long and 12" diameter....a 12/0 is there to show size relativity. It appears to be era correct from back in the day.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Where'd you come across than one?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Pretty cool,no idea they were that big. Guess it would help to expose more line
Do what you can with that you have where you are

AC49

Ted I saw one here in Cape Town South Africa that was used by the Rooikrantz fishermen of the 1950's with the Penn 49A reels. It was shown to me by the son of one of the fisherman of that era that currently still uses it today for winding nylon on and off various reels. One of the early 49A reels is shown in the picture.

Regards
AC49

oc1

The bigger they are the better they work and the easier they are to use.  Trouble is, it takes up a lot of space.  There were a bunch of styles of metal collapsible line dryers that could be folded up and put away.  Others look like something out of Fine Woodworking magazine.

If you need to get the salt out, it helps a lot if you can throw line dryer spool, into a tub of water.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

Made myself one from an old hose caddy to strip reels, just back the drag with the lightest tension to prevent backlashes.  Had a dryer similar to the wooden doweled one in the cellar that was my grandfathers as a kid, but the frame base frame had slots that the drum axle dropped into, my guess is for easier de-salting the line with the removable drum.  Gramps had two, one for drying then wind the dried line to the second one then re-spool the reel from the second switching the linen end to end on the spool.
Doomed from childhood

Midway Tommy

Dryers with vented ends allow better air circulation around the line and accelerate drying, especially if they're a shorter version of the wooden style shown. Multiple lines can be easily spaced on those long ones to allow for good air circulation.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Cuttyhunker

Check out Deepfins post on the Lighthouse 16/0, on the third page is the exact line drier that was in my cellar growing up, but don't think mine was motorized.  It was the basis for the one I made and posted above  The guy who owned it was a fishing and shooting buddy of my grandfathers.
Doomed from childhood

Glos

Mono of today still absorbs water.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Ssswhat I heard. Castin a dry fly you hadda grease the leader with floatent as well as the fly. First cast it'ed all float fine, then start to sink after that.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

With braid lasting as long as it does, these should be making a comeback. Leaving salty braid on a spool for years can't be good for anything. Charkbat offered a braid washing service for a while. I think I'll start designing something along with the line winder.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Glos

Quote from: Dominick on October 19, 2018, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: glos on October 19, 2018, 02:26:29 PM
Mono of today still absorbs water.

Really???  Dominick
"Prior to invention of monofilament, all line was derived from materials that absorbed water."

..yes
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Cuttyhunker

Mono is nylon, it has a specific gravity of 1.14....gonna sink.  The leader dressing is a cheat on that, prevents the line from breaking through the surface tension of the water.
Doomed from childhood