Penn 700 main gear needed

Started by Cuttyhunker, October 18, 2018, 07:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Anyone willing to part with a Penn Greenie 700 main gear, have one cracked to the axle, but the reel still works fine, just a little drag when the crack passes the worm gear.  Mystic is out.
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Will these work for you?

New Old Stock

Main Gear — $20, Pinion Gear — $10, 10 piece tune-up Kit — N/C

$34 shipped.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

Fred,
I'd like to pass on the pinion, they seem to last about 2 years longer than a rock,
used to think that about the mains too  ???. Give me a number on the main and kit and I'll paypal the $$ right out.
Thanks
Bob
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Sure, Bob —

Although I generally recommend replacing the pinion along with the main — they are bulletproof.

Just thought the way that main looks — that a new main by itself coupled with the old pinion might be a little noisy.

Just for members information — of the (61) total parts on a 700 or 704 — 28 are no longer available, and 12 are limited availability.  So 66% of the parts are either NLA or will be NLA in the near future.

Please PM me the exact measurements of your old main (OD, shaft length, shaft diameter) so I can make sure to send you the right one.

Just figure $20 for the main, $5 for the 10 parts kit, and $4 shipping — $29 total.

I will need your full name and mailing address when you PM me.

It will go out in tomorrow mornings mail.

Don't pay me until you receive it — and it is OK with your reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

Let's go with the 29.  Got a PM on this letting me know a shaft switch with a 704 main would work too, but I bet you knew that.  Will send a PM with info
Thanks,
Bob
Dimensions (by eye not caliper)
gear Diameter 1 17/32
gear thichness     7/32
shaft diameter .   5/16
shaft length .      1 13/16

PS How about a handle and nut for a  Pfleuger Summit 1993.  Numbers are (I think) Crank nut 205, Handle 204 or 504, don't know of there were washers to go on the post too
Thanks Again
Doomed from childhood

foakes

The first (3) measurements you gave me were perfect, Bob — the shaft length I am showing is different.

The shaft length is 2 3/16", including the threaded end.  There is a slight indentation so the shaft end is maybe 1/16" or 1/32" below the gear face.

Here also is a crank & crank nut for a Pflueger Summit from the 40's or 50's.  $5.

Let me know, and I can send them out later today.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

Could be I have the wrong gear and that's what caused the break. The 700 came in a lot of reels in random conditions of screwed-upness. It came with no handle but I had an extra and it functioned smoothly, except the little drag I noticed at the same handle position every time.  That's when I opened it and found the crack under some strategically placed grease.
What do you think? Add the Summit parts please.
Thanks
Bob
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Your measurements look right, Bob...

And the gear is a match.

If the shaft on mine is too long for your reel — just punch out the roll pin, and use your old crank shaft.

Am enclosing a new ratchet wheel and a new nylon thrust washer at N/C.  Don't think you need one — but it wouldn't hurt — and I have some extras.

Will try to make the PO today — if work permits.  It is an 18 mile round trip.  And I am working on eight reels for folks today.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Fred, You are a gentleman and a scholar
Bob
Doomed from childhood

foakes

In the mail, Bob —

ETA with tracking is Tuesday, 10/23/2018.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

What's your favorite penetrating oil? The anti backlash on the Summit is frozen solid.
Thnx
Bob
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Lots of penetrating oils out there nowadays, Bob —

Some better than others —

I use Kroil.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

Fred,
Post office lied, package got here today.  The shaft is the correct diameter but too long however the new main is smooth as silk, and silent as death on the worm gear.  I may not get to switch shafts before heading south, so I may be pestering you in the spring on the best procedure.  I do have a small covey of 700's stashed, so the southern fish will still be trembling at the sound of my name (I wish). 
The Summit handle is on and the old girl, it was a little stiff at first but a little dab of Mystery oil here, there, and through the grease port on the headplate has everything nice and loosey goosey.
I believe looking back the number I owe you is 34, please confirm if that is that correct and you will have incoming mail shortly.
Thank You so much,
Bob
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Great, Bob —

That sounds right.

Glad you got it all sorted.

Best Always,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

Fred ,
Your parts arrived just as I was leaving for Florida so they spent the winter on the shelf with the reel.   A few days ago I started the project, drifted out the shafts and used my bench vise to press the correct 700 shaft into the new gear you supplied, but the reel wouldn't go back together, a little too fat for the cover to fit flush.  Realizing the gear you sent was from a sister 700 series due to the different shaft length, I pulled schematics for the 700 and 704Z.  I was only off by about .020 to get the cover to fit, and found there is a spacer in the 700 that does not exist in the 704, looks like Penn made the gear shoulder thicker by the width of the spacer that is not in the 704.  All seems fine now with the reassembly minus the spacer I'll test the old girl out on the beach soon.  Thanks for helping me out with the goods!!
Best Wishes,
Bob  
Doomed from childhood