Allen head socket screws for the Pro Challenger one-piece Jigmaster

Started by Petah, October 19, 2018, 02:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

To all those that purchased Allen's new Jigmaster kits, I found 18-8 stainless steel low profile
socket head screws to replace the original slotted head screws. No more screwdriver slipping off to scratch
the sideplate or frame!!!!
McMaster-Carr
part # 92855A310 M3 x 0.5 mm thread 10mm long 25 pack $2.63
part # 92855A319 M3 x 0.5 mm thread 20mm long 25 pack $4.83
Need to cut 2-3 mm off the longer screws
Really toughens up the look IMO!!!

Peter

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

scrinch

Quote from: badfish71 on October 22, 2018, 04:35:17 AM
New kits are metric ?
The bridge screws are standard Penn 6-40x5/8". I think maybe the sideplate-frame screws are metric.

Petah

Scrinch is correct. The sideplate frame screws are metric!!!
The bridgeplate screws are still 6-40

Peter

Petah

If anyone wants a set of these screws I have three extra sets. PM me and let me know!!!!!
No charge!!!! These are the 6 sideplate screws.

Peter

Reel 224

McMasters Car doesn't sell 6-40 SS screws in the right configuration for the bridge especially the top screws, you want to check that.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 28, 2018, 06:41:50 PM
McMasters Car doesn't sell 6-40 SS screws in the right configuration for the bridge especially the top screws, you want to check that.

Joe

Joe,

Do you know of a source for these other than modifying them your self?
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

Yes, Me. I custom make 6-40 bridge screws to and spec that you have or wish for. I have a business license so I am legit...............Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Joe, Do you know offhand  what size I need for Penn Jigmasters and Squidders as well as Newell 200, 300 and 500 series?

Reel 224

I know the Penn reel sizes that you want I am not sure on the Newel reels sizes. If you or someone wants to send me a sample or draft sketch then I'm sure I could make them.

Joe

Frank

I'll get some together this weekend. Please PM your mailing address.

Thanks,

Frank

Petah

Joe,
     I am referring to the M3 screws for the sideplate for Alan's jigmaster kits and even the longer ones need about 2.5mm cut off!!! I just use a cut-off wheel on a dremel.  I also modify the 6-40 screws from McMaster-Carr for all my bridgeplates!!!! It's a very easy mod. that you can do with a handheld drill, a sharp file and a dremel. They don't need to be completely smooth, just dull the threading enough so that the yoke doesn't hang-up. After all most of us are applying grease to the screws during installation anyways which helps out.

Peter

Reel 224

Quote from: Petah on November 29, 2018, 07:41:11 AM
Joe,
      I am referring to the M3 screws for the sideplate for Alan's jigmaster kits and even the longer ones need about 2.5mm cut off!!! I just use a cut-off wheel on a dremel.  I also modify the 6-40 screws from McMaster-Carr for all my bridgeplates!!!! It's a very easy mod. that you can do with a handheld drill, a sharp file and a dremel. They don't need to be completely smooth, just dull the threading enough so that the yoke doesn't hang-up. After all most of us are applying grease to the screws during installation anyways which helps out.

Peter
[/quot

Peter: While I commend your resourcefulness, that isn't the rite screws for the top of the bridge unless you file the threads, witch will works but is not as clean as the proper screw.

I am producing screws as a business and if you take the time to notice others here are producing products as a business, while I respect your wanting to do some good on this site. Please keep in mind we contractors are investing thousands of $$$ on eqiptment and countless hours to produce a better product.

I hope you can understand were I coming from................................Joe

Petah

Joe,
      I totally understand and didn't mean to undermine you. In fact after I replied I found your post about your new endeavor. I like to post my findings as that is what this forum was started for IMO. All the best to you and maybe I'll be buying from you in the future. Getting a little tired of the metal dust from customizing!!!!

Peter