Blank requirements for a 40# and a 60# yoyo rod.

Started by Keta, October 20, 2018, 03:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

From all the comments and descriptions here it is easy for me to recognise that this is one of the ways we fish here for Yellowtail.     Drop the iron to the bottom and crank it up usually works best mostly in winter after seeing them on the echo sounder and in Summer the fish are usually on the surface where we can see them, cast over the shoal and work a lure on the surface.

But I can't answer your question because we fish under such different conditions and I am not familiar with your blanks.

Casting is very important here, so I will seldom use a primary rod of much less then 10  to 11 ft medium to fast action and usually no less then 45lb line, despite the fact that our Yellowtail are considerably smaller then yours.   We usually use lures of between 2 & 4 oz when fishing from boats.

As a secondary rod I often also take a 50lb tuna rod of about 8 ft  loaded with 60 lb line and 80 lb leader. This casts hardly further then 65 yards, but is a lot easier to handle if there are a lot of fish, big fish or seals or sharks around.   It can pull fish much faster and lift fish under 15 lb out the water on to the deck.

Cornelis