Spin rod Guides Question

Started by gstours, October 21, 2018, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

The Mudhole link has a table with the number of guides and the guide placement for rods of different lengths.  However, there is no mention of the handle length, the distance from the reel to the butt or the reel to the striper guide.  The ideal guide placement for a one-handed versus a two-handed rod could not possibly be the same.
-steve

gstours

Thanks again for the advice and link.  This is a breath of fresh air as I was wondering what to order and alter.  Seriously I dont really think of what other people think of my stuff anyway and have always "messed with stuff" as my friends say.   I was here to learn more about my forgotten spinning rods and reels.  You are absolutely right about about what works for you and what you have found out by altering and experimenting and you should feel good about helping some of us helpless. :)
  I have learned a lot here on this post,  and wonder a little more.  I cant wait to get started.   Cheers from soggy rainforested SE Alaska.

happyhooker

Quote from: Jeri on October 30, 2018, 06:27:36 AM
Quote from: happyhooker on October 30, 2018, 01:41:26 AM
Jeri, really appreciate your stories/knowledge.  I don't do any surf fishing, but have preliminarily set up some shorter rods with the stripper guide pretty far out from the reel.  It just looks goofy and I've chickened out before actually going ahead with the build.  Old habits die hard--a bit of a sin, I guess--but your professional comments and advice are certainly prodding me into expanding my horizons.

Frank

The ''goofy look', is just because it challenges the 'conventions' that you have been lead to believe are right.  Look how 'goofy' Acid Wrapped rods look, but they work, even in a surf fishing design - but still none of the mainstream manufacturers are producing rods that follow that concept.

You are right, of course; sometimes, one must overcome conservative thinking and be willing to "take the plunge".

Frank

gstours

Thanks again for everybody sharing their thoughts and providing new information on this subject.   I,m sure others that have following these pages have learned somethings,  I have learned a lot.   I will show and tell more on this as soon as I can get moving on the rebuilds.