Attempting my first build....P21XN Jiggy!

Started by pjstevko, October 22, 2018, 12:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

PJ, I found videos to be very helpful with my first couple of builds. YouTube has a good number of videos on Jigmasters.

pjstevko

I believe I have all the parts on hand or enroute so it's time to start piecing this thing together on the dry run....

I still need to buy all the oils, grease and lubes mentioned earlier for the final fit...... Any suggestions on where to buy small amounts?

Thanks again to all of you who offered up parts from your personal stashes of goodies and those of you who sell high quality custom parts which set these reels apart from the norm..... This truly is a special place!

pjstevko

I tried to do a dry fit assembly today........this is tougher than I thought!

I need to buy new tools

I realized I still need parts so I placed another order of parts from Mystic Parts.... I probably should have just bought a donor reel for $20 instead of buying all new parts......

Someone might be getting a big box of parts to assemble from me if I try this again and I still don't have all the parts after my next order arrives....

Gfish

A donor reel's a good idea, but the new stuff you bought will be in better condition.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

WHO WANTS TO BUILD THIS FOR ME?????????????????

YOU WILL BE PAID....

Vintage Offshore Tackle

PJ, I am sure that I am more mechanically challenged than you, but in an emergency, I have been able to put reel together using the excellent tutorials that you will find on the homepage of this website. There is even a specific forum for Jigmasters.  if you lay all your parts and tools out in front of your computer I would bet that you can put this thing together in 30 minutes or less.

pjstevko

I'm just super frustrated and feel like I need 8 hands to do this......plus I don't want to scratch everything up by doing it wrong...I already scratched the inside of one of the plates trying to get the shift lever spring in place....maybe I should just drive over to Jonathan or Fred's place and have them help me....

PS That rod worked great with my fathers old #49, its a great combo...thanks again

Decker

I feel for you, PJ.  I read about everything that Sal and Mo do and think, "Sure, I can do that..."   it is clearly laid out and illustrated, why not?   Still there is a substantial gap between being an armchair reel-repair study, and a reel builder.

Still, I encourage you to take some time, if you have it.  There is a short distance between failure, self-doubt, and successful accomplishment.

Gfish

Quote from: pjstevko on November 06, 2018, 06:39:07 PM
I'm just super frustrated and feel like I need 8 hands to do this......plus I don't want to scratch everything up by doing it wrong...I already scratched the inside of one of the plates trying to get the shift lever spring in place....maybe I should just drive over to Jonathan or Fred's place and have them help me....

PS That rod worked great with my fathers old #49, its a great combo...thanks again
If you can get in the right "mind set"(i.e., meet & beat the challange), then may be best to assemble it, then disassemble, cover most parts with grease( includes scratches).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

You have a stock jigmaster? Beat on one of those first and get the hang of it. That eccentric seems tricky until you get a feel for which way the spring goes.
I'm good doing penns and newells, pretty much everything else I send out. I feel your pain. Sometimes you just gotta stay in your lane. These aren't too bad though
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Ok I've taken a few deep breaths and am back at it but stand by for questions galore......

Question one...

Where in the drag stack should the metal keyed washer with the larger hole go? 

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on November 06, 2018, 07:01:48 PM
You have a stock jigmaster? Beat on one of those first and get the hang of it. That eccentric seems tricky until you get a feel for which way the spring goes.
I'm good doing penns and newells, pretty much everything else I send out. I feel your pain. Sometimes you just gotta stay in your lane. These aren't too bad though

No stock jigmaster to screw around with which is part of the problem...

mo65

Quote from: pjstevko on November 06, 2018, 07:04:01 PM
Question one...

It looks to me like someone has mixed a washer to a larger reel into your kit...no way that washer is going to key to the gear sleeve. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

pjstevko

Quote from: mo65 on November 06, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
Question one...

It looks to me like someone has mixed a washer to a larger reel into your kit...no way that washer is going to key to the gear sleeve. :-\

I hope that's not the case......

Black Pearl

Quote from: pjstevko on November 06, 2018, 07:55:00 PM
Quote from: mo65 on November 06, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
Question one...

I hope that's not the case......

That was a mess up from my side. I will send out a new key washer to you by mail.

Sorry for the mess up.

Thanks,
--Alan