Penn 27 Monofil - Tog reel?

Started by Dan Iburg, October 22, 2018, 04:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Iburg

Going to try and beef up a Penn 27 Monofil for Togging. Why? Why not. Newell spool and new carbon drag washer and Power handle are in. What spacer bars do you recommend? Just trying something new.
Thank you for your time.

thorhammer

I think the Newell bars for Beachmaster 155, Squidder 140, Surfmaster 200 fit this reel.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on October 22, 2018, 04:19:09 PM
I think the Newell bars for Beachmaster 155, Squidder 140, Surfmaster 200 fit this reel.

I think he wants a narrow reel, John.  146, 100, 180 bars and base will fit a 27.  Tiburon frame would be nice. There is a thread by Porthos where I believe he used a 13-200 pinion gear in his 27.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8805.0  It seems to be plenty capable for tog. 

STRIPER LOU

I believe Black Pearl has some nice bars that will fit also.

..............Lou

scrinch

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on October 22, 2018, 05:39:30 PM
I believe Black Pearl has some nice bars that will fit also.
..............Lou
Right. Here are some of those aluminum bars on one of my squidders.

thorhammer

Thanks for correction...sad to say, about the only Penn series I have ZERO of are these Monofils (not counting Peer's). I was thinking 27 was the widest. That said, I have the BP narrow bars on a 100 Surfmaster build as well- very nice. I would question whether a full frame is actually necessary on these, as the gear is small and even the steel one would only stand so much drag- without full upgrade to SS Sleeve, SS gears, etc., I'd think you will round a brass sleeve or strip a brass gear before you would torque the reel with BP spacer bars. Just my 0.02, but the ratio on these is 3.3/1 if memory serves with no larger gear option I'm aware of. Using 50lb braid equals 15lb drag, and I think I read in here somewhere that force will shear stock gears in the Squidder sizes. Next down would be 30 or 40lb, fished at 8-9 lbs max. I'd think we get Sal to weigh in on these figures as to whether bars will torque there (vs. frame).  I vote no....

Ron Jones

I have a 180 with a full Newell Kit, same reel. I don't know what Tog is, but I used Porthos' 27 to good effect on schoolie yellowtail. I love this reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: thorhammer on October 22, 2018, 06:19:53 PM
Thanks for correction...sad to say, about the only Penn series I have ZERO of are these Monofils (not counting Peer's). I was thinking 27 was the widest. That said, I have the BP narrow bars on a 100 Surfmaster build as well- very nice. I would question whether a full frame is actually necessary on these, as the gear is small and even the steel one would only stand so much drag- without full upgrade to SS Sleeve, SS gears, etc., I'd think you will round a brass sleeve or strip a brass gear before you would torque the reel with BP spacer bars. Just my 0.02, but the ratio on these is 3.3/1 if memory serves with no larger gear option I'm aware of. Using 50lb braid equals 15lb drag, and I think I read in here somewhere that force will shear stock gears in the Squidder sizes. Next down would be 30 or 40lb, fished at 8-9 lbs max. I'd think we get Sal to weigh in on these figures as to whether bars will torque there (vs. frame).  I vote no....

I'm with you John, those little bars are pretty strong.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Sal, I just recall, I built that reel totally around the 100 spool you gave me at dinner, which I was just speaking with Dominick about lol.

Decker

Tog is short for "tautog," a tough fish that lives in rock piles, eats mainly crustaceans, and is delicious.  I hear of them being caught in the Atlantic from Massachusetts to Maryland.  They bite lightly and are known to pull lines into the rocks.   Keeper size in New Jersey is 15 inches minimum.  Big ones are close to 10 pounds, and trophies up to 20 pounds.