JC Higgins reel assembly

Started by Patmos, October 23, 2018, 02:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patmos

I offered to reassemble a JC Higgins casting reel for an old friend (312-3111 Model 4810).  After cleaning the parts, it's in beautiful condition (engraved sideplates) and I believe all the parts are there.  There is one rather large, complex shape, wire spring that I cannot figure out - where it goes or what it's purpose is.  I'm unable to find a schematic on this reel.
How to proceed?  I've included pictures of it if it helps.  Thanks for the help.

foakes

These were a high quality (possibly pre-war) reel produced by Bronson — manufactured as a trade reel and rebadged by Sears.

The J.C. higgins 312.3111 Model 4810 is a Bronson Reel marketed by Sears in the 40's and 50's. The early models had hexagon jeweled end caps were the later model were round.The engraving on the reel of two men in a boat catching a large fish is very detailed and can also be found on the Belmont and the Mohawk.

Few folks know that at their peak — Bronson was the largest producer of fishing reels in the world — manufacturing over 1,000,000 per year.

Look up Bronson —if an internet search or another knowledgeable member here does not have the info you need on that spring location — when I get some time, I could pull apart an old J.C., Mohawk, or Belmont — and snap a few pics to help out.

These were very high quality and well manufactured reels that were built to last.  The ornate design is just a plus.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Some of the old Bronsons are highly collectible, like this Invader 26 I got in a box lot buy. I didn't even know what I had until I did an eBay "search"...nearly fell off my chair! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Patmos, you cant tease us with parts. Be nice to see the whole reel. Especially after get it sorted out... Jeff

Midway Tommy

You did GOOD, Mike! They're a tough find in the condition!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Patmos

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions, background information on this reel, etc.  Gene provided me with a picture of a similar reel showing the spring correctly installed.  I would have never figured it out!  Thanks!
Will put some pictures of finished product on here - I'm pleased with how it turned out (as is the owner).

Swami805

Pretty reel,that engraving is beautiful.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rivverrat

great to hear you got it back together... Jeff

mo65

Beautiful reel...great job getting it back into one piece! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

I'm still wondering where that spring goes.  :-\  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Dominick on October 26, 2018, 04:03:48 AM
I'm still wondering where that spring goes.  :-\  Dominick

;D ;D Me to. Would have liked to see it in place.. Jeff

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!