Double dogged 112H 3/0 bridgeplate

Started by Petah, September 03, 2018, 04:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

One of my earliest attempts at double dogging a bridge!! And, it's a drop in, no sideplate alterations needed!
S.S. sleeve, stock steel gear, Byan's 5 stack,
TIB frame and handle and knob from Alan C. I use it on an old Fenwick Pacificstick 8'6" for throwing
surface irons or flylining baits with 30lb Izor XXX

Peter

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Donnyboat

nice work Peter thanks for sharing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Nice job Peter, are those stainless steel pins for the dogs?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Excellent Peter! Now that's some real engineering.

Great work,  ..  Lou

broadway

The dogs look very comfortable where they are, and I like that the side plates didn't need alteration... well done, Sir!
Dom

Petah

Thanks guys!!!
Sal, yes they're the same PEM pins I used on the squidder and jigmaster plates.

Peter

mhc

Looks good Peter - drop in is the way to go when you can fit the dogs in. I still haven't tried the PEM pins you sent me (thanks again), I've picked up the correct size drill bits for both the 1/8" and the 2.0 mm pins - just need to work out which bridge to double dog next!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Petah

Mike,
        Have you ever given thought about using spring wire for the dogs like Tom does on his US113 bridgeplates??
Thinking it might make fitting the dogs under the gears easier. Welcome your thoughts/suggestions!!!

Peter

mhc

Yes, I have tried wire springs a couple of times over the last few years, the first time I remember seeing it was with Justin's (Redsetta) "Penn 349HC joins the 'Tank' family" thread in 2013 - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8567.0
Justin's spring;

I sort of copied Justin's spring when I first doubled dogged a Mariner a bit later;

Both of these were with 'bridge screw' dogs and not 'on the bridge' dogs.
Tom's US113 bridge dog springs sit on top of the dog post, a great design where there is room between the dog and the underside of the gear. With the smaller Penns like the jigmaster, longbeach, squidder etc the gear sleeve ratchet and the dogs are the same thickness and sit flat on the bridge, so you don't get much room between the dog and the gear.
I've put a wire spring on the bridge using two spring posts, this is a very rough example of one on a 210 - it was a trial that worked so I've left it in so far but probably should make a neat one someday  ::) :D

Thought I had made another one but can't seem to find it - I'll let you know if I find it.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Petah

Thanks Mike!!! Really got the wheels spinning now!!! Hopefully I can show something soon!!!!

Peter