4/0 Steel Main Gear

Started by Rivverrat, October 24, 2018, 07:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

That T4NX has lunker catfish written all over it. You fellers have me thinking...sometimes a bad situation...HA! I agree with Jeff, the 3.25:1 gear ratio seems perfect for catfishing, it's one of the reasons I like 259s, 99s, and Surfmaster 250s so much. I checked for that gear Jeff, but I only had bronze. Good going Alex! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Thanks for helping out, Alex...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on October 25, 2018, 02:37:52 PM
   That T4NX has lunker catfish written all over it. ........ I agree with Jeff, the 3.25:1 gear ratio seems perfect for catfishing

you know Mo, Jeff and I have kind of similiar needs but he's after monster Catfish in freshwater while I am after saltwater shallow water groupers, we need strong small reels that can use 80 or 100lb braid and no need for tons of miles of line capacity, just strong small reel for brute short fights, that said, my T4NX is using a 3.25:1 old Steel main gear too for cranking power, I have some 4:1 newell gears on hand but prefered to use the stock ratio, mine is using a Keta octagon insert, It still need few more SS upgrades but those will come later.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on October 25, 2018, 02:37:52 PM
   That T4NX has lunker catfish written all over it. You fellers have me thinking...sometimes a bad situation...HA! I agree with Jeff, the 3.25:1 gear ratio seems perfect for catfishing, it's one of the reasons I like 259s, 99s, and Surfmaster 250s so much. I checked for that gear Jeff, but I only had bronze. Good going Alex! 8)

Mo, thanks for checking for that gear. They really are getting very hard to find. The steel gear in my silver & red T4XN is anew steel gear Lee told me about more than year ago. Bought off the auction site. At that time I thought to myself " you know I might use that sometime" not even owning a 113H at the time.

Fellas we need to see about some stainless gears for the 4/0 in this 3.25:1 ratio.  You can reasonably enough turn the handle with drag at 25 lbs. Turning the handle on theses skinny reels is probably doable for most even with drag set at 30. This is a big deal. Not to mention it saves a lot of wear & tear on the reel over time vs turning the handle with a 4:1 gear set.

Darin Crofton

Jeff, now you have me on a search for the elusive 3.25 gear n pinion combo, down the rabbit hole I go . . .
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Darin Crofton

Does anyone know when they stopped putting the steel main gear in the 113h? Wondering how to find a 4/0 with the steel gear? Thanks!

RowdyW

I've found that the early 113h's with outside accessable drags have the steel main gears if nobody has been into them & switched out the gears. If they still have the 3 asbestos drag washers they are usually original.      Rudy

Darin Crofton

Quote from: RowdyW on November 01, 2018, 03:38:01 AM
I've found that the early 113h's with outside accessable drags have the steel main gears if nobody has been into them & switched out the gears. If they still have the 3 asbestos drag washers they are usually original.      Rudy
Thank you, Rudy, great info! Darin

gstours

Daron,  Rudy is right on about the 113h early type sideplate in red/maroon has what you wanted, a matching set of steel gears ⚙️ in the 3.31 gr. 
   This is my favorite for my type of fish up north, with the insert you can't go wrong.  Quite common to find a usable reel, and you could put your brass gear back in with the cf washers your using now, and peddle it to get your money back quite easily.   The gears are very strong 💪.
    Good luck fishing 🎣.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: gstours on November 02, 2018, 02:42:32 PM
Daron,  Rudy is right on about the 113h early type sideplate in red/maroon has what you wanted, a matching set of steel gears ⚙️ in the 3.31 gr. 
   This is my favorite for my type of fish up north, with the insert you can't go wrong.  Quite common to find a usable reel, and you could put your brass gear back in with the cf washers your using now, and peddle it to get your money back quite easily.   The gears are very strong 💪.
    Good luck fishing 🎣.
I'm on the hunt... but need full internals for two tiburon T4NI kits and a yts kit from Maxed Out, I have two insert kits from Adam and will get another from PC, this is fun!

Darin Crofton

you think this one has it? I can get it dirt cheap???

RowdyW

Photos don't show if it is outside accessable drags. Need a photo behind the handle.

vilters

non drive sideplate is from a newer reel on the one pictured.

RowdyW

I think they all have a Sailfish on the left plate. Just the lettering is in slightly different locations.

Darin Crofton

if you don't mind can someone post a pic of what I need to look for under the star, I'd love to know, thank you!!!