Penn International 30SW

Started by Andrew Lam, October 25, 2018, 07:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Lam

Hi everyone, i placed my belleville washers in the position (())). I notice the handle becoming harder to turn as i move the drag lever towards full when i have preset drag to maximum. I believe it the bearing inside the cam follower pushing against the main gear. Have you experienced this before? And should i changed the belleville washers back to ()() or whats your advice? Looking forward to your comments.

Andrew

Dominick

That looks like one too many bellevilles.  You don't need that much drag in that reel.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Andrew Lam

Hi Dominick, Thanks. I think you're right. Took it out. It still can produce approx. 15kg of drag at full.

alantani

andrew, that is one of the limiting factors with these reels.  what you are experiencing could be side load at super high drag ranges, or you're having problems at low drag settings because you have a bad right side plate bearing.  a 30 SW should be rigged with 600-700 yards of 130# braid or 900-1000 of #100 pound braid with a topshot of 100 to 130 pound fluoro.  the best drag range for this reel would be 30 pounds at strike and 50 pounds at full, but these older reels can often NOT achieve these drag ranges.  run the reel through it's paces, figure out the drag pressure at all the various points of the curve and then let's talk some more. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!