a conversation with jerry brown, president of jb line one spectra

Started by alantani, October 27, 2018, 05:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 06, 2018, 12:54:44 PM
Nope - the company is still listed as being in Oregon but no website. Maybe Lee has extra info?
Another site that's disappeared is Paulus line testing (Oz) - there was a great deal of useful stuff on that site.

Jerry's website was never up to speed and I'd bet he shut it down.  He is still around and living a few miles up the Rogue River from Gold Hill, OR.

Quote from: mikeysm on November 06, 2018, 01:45:52 PM
I just recieved some 60 lb hollow braid. I had a hard time inserting the needle. I Would hate to see the 40 lb it would be very tough getting the needle started.

Mike

I have small needles and have no problem with 60# hollow.  JB hollow 40# is expensive so I use 40# POP Ace Hollow, and like it.  I have used JB 40# hollow and it is easy to work with.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: mikeysm on November 06, 2018, 01:45:52 PM
I just recieved some 60 lb hollow braid. I had a hard time inserting the needle. I Would hate to see the 40 lb it would be very tough getting the needle started.

Mike

mike, i had a horrible time with the different colors of 60 pound jb hollow, but the white was ok.  when you come over for the fishing trip, i can show you what i do. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

My eye sight isn't so good and I have to stab at it. But I got the job done. Alan are you able to put line on the 20/0  or is it to big.

Mike

JayMak79

I have bulk spools of JB 65 and 80 lb solid braid that I can splice loops and hollow core into, has any one else tried this? If there is interest I can upload a tutorial

alantani

Bring the reel. If my winder can't handle it,  no one's can.

GClev

An age ago, Jerry rode at least his first eight SDLR 18-day trips on the same Jan and May dates I liked, the Izor trips.  I spent months, seriously, 3 or 4 months, sharing 113' and listening to Jerry at the meal table, all through his entire no-knot pinhead-to-line mogul transformation.  I remember a whole bunch of it, complicated historical, financial, and personal details, not just spectra.  

I didn't keep up with Jerry after 2000.  I did however keep an eye on the fishing line and still occasionally need a refill.  The PE chemistry, the filament spinneret technology, and the braiding, coloring, and binding processes have all been incrementally improved and then, mass produced.  Japanese filaments and Chinese braiders have pushed prices down to $41.32 US for 2 KM (2200 yds) of good quality 8-strand 50# multi-color dyneema spec braid and $104 for 2KM of 200# x16 hollow in a rainbow of colors.  These lines, wildly popular with Asian and European fishermen make a fill with good braid about the same price as good mono. (<$5 per fill for solid x8 line on jig and bait reels and <$30 to fill a 50 International with hollowcore x16 braid).

Jerry's ideas in an AliBaba world.  Thanks Jerry.

alantani

i spoke to him the day before yesterday and asked how old he was.  he said 90!

Marilyn (Brown) Rogers

Greetings - I ran across this thread when googling my fathers name, Jerry Brown of JB Line One. 

Jerry Brown is indeed almost 90 years old!  His hearing is almost gone, but his mind is still sharp as a tack. 

There is no web site for his line and if you want to order anything it's still done the old fashioned way via email at jblineone@hughes.net   Jerry can still take your phone calls, but be warned, he does enjoy talking and has tales to tell. 
JB LineOne

Keta

It sounds like you are Jerry's son, if so your father is a first class person and I need to run over and see him soon.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

i've never had a problem talking to people with bad hearing.  it's all about not jumping to the next thought until the first one is acknowledged. 

my wife tell her father, "hey, dad, i want to take you out to dinner at 6 o'clock on friday, so be ready."  dad would say "huh?"  joy would respond, "6 o'clock!!!!"  dad would say, "what's at 6 o'clock?"  and so on....  she never did get it.

i would talk to him and say, "hey, dad!"  "huh?"

"let's go out to dinner!"  "when?"

"how about friday?"  "ok, what time?"

"how about 6 o'clock?"  "ok, see you then!"

easy, really.  i do the same thing when i talk to your father.  we have never had a problem!   ;D

alantani

SeaBush

I was wondering if anyone knew similar information about JB solid line.  I am specifically wondering if it is reasonable to expect that you could get 350 yards of 60# JB hollow with a short 10-15 yard topshot of 40# FC on an avet MXJ G2 (which claims it can hold 470 yards of 50# JB spectra).  Since I am unaware of JB 50# hollow core, I am assuming Avet is referring to 50# solid core.

I may go with solid core braid (it is a lot cheaper) but I have some 60# JB hollow on another reel and really like it.

CB

Tiddlerbasher

I tend to go with hollow braid, wherever possible, it makes splicing a top shot so much easier ;)

Marilyn (Brown) Rogers

Hi Lee,

I'm Jerry's daughter, Marilyn.  Thank you for the kind words. 

JB LineOne

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rufhouse62 on April 16, 2019, 02:23:36 PM
Greetings - I ran across this thread when googling my fathers name, Jerry Brown of JB Line One. 

Jerry Brown is indeed almost 90 years old!  His hearing is almost gone, but his mind is still sharp as a tack. 

There is no web site for his line and if you want to order anything it's still done the old fashioned way via email at jblineone@hughes.net   Jerry can still take your phone calls, but be warned, he does enjoy talking and has tales to tell. 
Marilyn, sound like we need to get up there and bring food to enjoy all of those stories.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D