Yacht-Fishing Boat Collision?

Started by Wally15, October 27, 2018, 02:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Caught a blurb on the news this AM (10/27) that some 300'+ yacht hit a fishing boat with 28 aboard near the US-Mexico border in the Pacific. One person hurt. Sounds like one of the San Diego LR boats was involved if carrying 28 fishermen. West coast news is very spotty over here on the east coast.
Any update?
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Swami805

It was the Prowler and some mega yacht. One was badly hurt and a few others injured. Sounds really bad. Hope everyone comes out ok.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Picture from someone on board the prowler. The whole side of the boat is gone.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

People will be pissing in cups and someone will loose their license and do time in jail.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swill88

The Prowler has a newer young captain.

whalebreath

Quote from: Keta on October 27, 2018, 03:14:53 PM
People will be pissing in cups and someone will loose their license and do time in jail.
Not if it happened in Mexican territorial waters.

Swami805

Just a really tragic situation, one life lost and many others affected. Just reinforces how quickly things can go bad at sea.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Quote from: whalebreath on October 28, 2018, 03:00:24 AM
Quote from: Keta on October 27, 2018, 03:14:53 PM
Not if it happened in Mexican territorial waters.

The licensed captains are responsible and the USCG can make them take a wiz quiz no mater where it happened.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

The Admiralty court was established to handle incidents on the high seas. Someone will be giving blood probably, everything about this sucks.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

joel8080

I have seen the Yacht a while back coming back into SD harbor, it's fantastic it's loaded with a lot of radar on it's mast and has a French A Star Helicopter on board, The Fishing boat I can understand it might of had the radar off or the Capt was on deck helping out. But the Yacht of that size has a Capt and a First officer to take the helm when he is out of the wheel house.
It's going to be interesting to read the CG final report.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Dominick

Joel is there a website to read the report you mentioned?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

What can we take away from this tragedy?  Just my .02 worth.
Another reason to run AIS on your vessel.  Mine will sound an alarm, so will my radar and it will also track vessels.  This kind of accident is disturbing for many reasons, mostly because it's preventable. But I'd youve ever looked on an AIS tracker like vessel watch there is a mind boggling amount of traffic in and out and around San Diego and L.A. harbors.  It's actually somewhat amazing to me that there are not more collisions out there.  There are literally hundreds and hundreds of vessels going in every direction at all times of the day and night.

My personal view is I can never have to much safety equipment, I can never be to safe.

theswimmer

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/30/san-clemente-man-66-couldnt-be-saved-in-imperial-beach-boat-collision/

Update : Big question is why did it take 2 hours to notify the Coast Guard ?
Nine miles offshore  , those 2 hours were critical to someone with a head injury .
Some of the best hospitals in the world are  a 10 minute helo ride away.........
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

joel8080

Keta

If it's the CG report your asking about? it will take several months to a year before it shows up.
Oceanside,California

Keta

Thanks Joel but it was Dominick asking.  It will take months to finish the investigation, I know because I was involved in a very large oil spill, not my doing, and had to have several "chats" with the USCG before it was over. 

Mark Twain