alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Best Way to Rig a Crab, as Bait
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 19, 2019, 10:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Way to Rig a Crab, as Bait  (Read 99 times)
cmdrzog and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.
Crow

Dauphin Island Sunset

« on: November 18, 2019, 12:32:12 PM »

OK, I like to fish with either a "small" whole crab...or half of a "normal" crab, as bait, when surf fishing in the gulf. Issue is, I tend to "throw them off", when casting. Any tips ? Maybe "tie" them on ? The smaller , whole crabs (they call 'em "ghost crabs", down there) I hook by inserting into a "joint" in the shell, and then out "through" the shell...that works ...sort of. The "half crabs" (blue crab, usually), actually seem to work the best for the Red, and black drum, but are really hard to keep on the hook.........thanks !

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »

I'm not sure there is a good way to do it, but small rubber bands help a lot.
-steve
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »

I've served them on just like you do a live mackerel for trolling. Thread can be as simple and cheap as you can find. Wrapping between the legs lets the crab act natural, hook on top keeps snags away.
The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
philaroman

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »

soft copper wire works...

also, get/make the Breakaway rig, or equivalent: https://www.breakawaytackleusa.com/products/leaders-rigs/far-out-rigs/

it really helps to have the bait not flopping around & everything in-line, behind the weigh, during the cast

kinda' expensive, but once you know you like it, you just get the specialized clips in bulk

& make your own (there are several effective designs that do the same thing)
festus
Photo Group

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »

I'm not sure there is a good way to do it, but small rubber bands help a lot.
-steve
l've never fished using a crab in saltwater, but that's a good idea.  We use rubber bands on crawfish in rivers and lakes.
rodent

honolulu, hawaii

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »

Amazon, “Atlas Mike’s” miracle thread, thin, elastic made specifically for wrapping bait. YouTube the South Africans or British, they have a lot of ways for bait presentations to cast far distances without coming off.
Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:28:25 AM »

On the rare occasions that I 'bait and wait' I use bait elastic - basically a thin elasticated thread. That way you don't have to hook the bait just hold it against the hook 'whip it' on. You can then cast a good distance knowing that your bait will stay in place.
A dispenser for the elastic also helps.
e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tronixpro-Bait-Elastic-Line-Fine-Regular-Heavy-Sea-Fishing-Baiting-Tackle-100mtr/254399244347?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: