I would like some recommendations for a dehooking tool

Started by Dominick, October 31, 2018, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Like the subject line says, any advise will be appreciated.  I am tired of getting spiked.  Those little stab wounds stay painful for weeks sometimes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

I always carry a "nice" floating and alluminium plier but also carry a long nose plier for those deep hook-ups

you can search for one of these
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Cor

I also keep a long nose pliers on my belt, but use it seldom.   I fish mainly with triple hooks and even with barbs flattened it is sometimes difficult to remove and seems easier with fingers.
Cornelis

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
I always have two heavy duty dehookers with me when Sharking.
They are made of stainless and come from across the pond.
I've learned a different method on the smaller ones.
Pulling on the leader to keep the hook inline and a quick tug pops it right out.
The Arc dehooker is very popular using this method.

Life is Good!

Keta

If you are releasing salmon I have some similer to this I can send you.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

A piece of coat hanger wire with a 180 degree bend on one end and a larger loop to use as a handle on the other end.  Grab the leader with the wire.  While holding the leader taught, slide the wire down the leader until it is around the bend of the hook.  Pull the hook out of the fish.  Same principle as Lee's.

You never need to touch the fish if it has some weight.  For small panfish hold the leader in one hand, the wire in the other hand, with the fish dangling in the middle.  Then flip the fish off the hook.
-steve

Keta

Mine are free and heavier than coat hangers Steve.  I have used a cup hook in a dowel in the past too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on November 01, 2018, 01:34:19 PM
Mine are free and heavier than coat hangers Steve.  I have used a cup hook in a dowel in the past too.

Free!!! I guess one cannot beat that price.  I'll pay the postage.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

I use one of my gaff's hook for a de hooker. Works great and you don't have to bring the fish out of the water. I also have two pair of needle nose pliers handy (one in the stern and one near the bow). I agree free is good. Keta is a generous man ......................... thanks for the descenders.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Keta

Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

;D  Home made  26 inch bicycle spoke , bend and glue into a dowel ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Joey, it looks like you heeded your grandpa's advice.  Thanks.  Dominick

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on November 01, 2018, 12:40:14 PM
If you are releasing salmon I have some similer to this I can send you.

This looks like a winner
I will try to make one similar
The Baja Guy