I would like some recommendations for a dehooking tool

Started by Dominick, October 31, 2018, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on November 04, 2018, 07:33:32 AM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2502218/ :o
Thanks Steve.  I knew about foreign matter from fish stab wounds.  You'd think that swimming around in salt water would be sterile.  Butt no...Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Gfish

Quote from: Dominick on November 05, 2018, 12:25:27 AM
Quote from: oc1 on November 04, 2018, 07:33:32 AM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2502218/ :o
Thanks Steve.  I knew about foreign matter from fish stab wounds.  You'd think that swimming around in salt water would be sterile.  Butt no...Dominick
Just diffrent kinds of microbes.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide with my tackle. Even line cuts can get nasty when fish slime is added. Many species of fish have a bit of toxic material on the spines,some worse than others. Very hot water can help as soon as it happens but on a boat that can be a problem. The peroxide won't help that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on November 05, 2018, 04:10:47 AM
I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide with my tackle. Even line cuts can get nasty when fish slime is added. Many species of fish have a bit of toxic material on the spines,some worse than others. Very hot water can help as soon as it happens but on a boat that can be a problem. The peroxide won't help that.

compadre Sheridan, I read that its a good idea to have a small bottle of bleach or even chloride wipes on the boat to clean any cut or fish bite as soon as it happen
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

I use an old golf club.....cut off the head and insert piece round metal stock bent in J form, and cement in with epoxy
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

I got the de hooker from Keta.  She be fulla mojo.   :D Thanks Lee.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Quote from: steelfish on November 08, 2018, 09:16:40 PM

compadre Sheridan, I read that its a good idea to have a small bottle of bleach or even chloride wipes on the boat to clean any cut or fish bite as soon as it happen

When I was a kid and went with my uncle commercial fishing for Yellowtail Snapper with handlines, we would soak our hands in water mixed with bleach to prevent infection. It seemed to work back then.

gstours

You want to prevent an infection period... I always have a plastic bottle of rubbing alcohol in the cabin, and a spray bottle od 50-50 water and clorox on the deck.   its the 151 under the skipper seat,  its usually low or out. ???
  Sometimes antiseptic ointments are good insurance if you have to tape up a cut or wound.  Waterproof tape and steril pads.  Then if on a finger or palm put on a xx large latex glove on to keep the wound clean and dry.  THEN go back to fishing !!!!!!!!!!

Miles Offshore

Homemade with a piece of stainlessrod through a 4" piece of broomhandle. Stainless goes through twice and is bent over to hold in place Works great finishes at about 12" long. Use it offshore for mahi, wahoos and tuners
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

philaroman

Quote from: conchydong on November 09, 2018, 12:11:16 AM
Quote from: steelfish on November 08, 2018, 09:16:40 PM

When I was a kid and went with my uncle commercial fishing for Yellowtail Snapper with handlines, we would soak our hands in water mixed with bleach to prevent infection. It seemed to work back then.
Quote from: gstours on November 15, 2018, 05:46:52 PM
  You want to prevent an infection period... I always have a plastic bottle of rubbing alcohol in the cabin, and a spray bottle od 50-50 water and clorox on the deck.   its the 151 under the skipper seat,  its usually low or out. ???
  Sometimes antiseptic ointments are good insurance if you have to tape up a cut or wound.  Waterproof tape and steril pads.  Then if on a finger or palm put on a xx large latex glove on to keep the wound clean and dry.  THEN go back to fishing !!!!!!!!!!

I use the little eye-drop bottles -- nozzle pops out to refill w/ whatever:
Betadine, peroxide, ethanol, ammonia, vinegar, etc.

Keta

Quote from: gstours on November 15, 2018, 05:46:52 PM
  You want to prevent an infection period... I always have a plastic bottle of rubbing alcohol in the cabin, and a spray bottle od 50-50 water and clorox on the deck.   

Before I quit killing halibut over 60# we carried a bottle of the cheapest vodka we could get to squirt in the gills of a big butt to calm them down before bringing them in the boat.  I'm sure vodka would work as well as rubbing alcohol for killing the crud in cuts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

philaroman

nah...  a libation w/ neither flavor, nor odor, is only good for one thing -- functional alcoholism