Help identifying reel cradle

Started by Spyderman, November 03, 2018, 01:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

I recently acquired a cradle rod with a Penn International 30 reel mounted to it.  The rod cradle has no markings anywhere on it.  There are no visible signs of any decals having been affixed to the rod cradle (remnants or a 'ghost' outline of where a decal may have been).  The length of the rod cradle is 18 3/4" long and 2 7/8" wide.  As I mentioned, it has a Penn International 30 reel mounted in the cradle.  The rod insert that came with the cradle has a decal on it that reads, 'ANGLERS CENTER NEWPORT BEACH, CA'.  If anyone can lend a hand identifying the manufacturer of this rod cradle, it would be most appreciated.  I know Nep-Tuna made cradles for several Penn reel models, but I don't know of any other manufacturers who may also have made similar cradles.

Spyderman

Here are a few more photos of the rod cradle.

Spyderman

And a couple more, including the decal on the rod.

mikeysm

54bullseye

Yep Nep-Tuna Cradle and probably Silaflex rod. I have a couple rods by Anglers Center with same decal. There were some other early California rod blanks that were similar I am sure some west coast guys will chime in !!  Randy will know or Swami "Sheridan"

John Taylor

Swami805

Not sure what that tip is, hard to tell from that picture. Weren't the gold Neptunas towards the end of manufacture? The finish looks like a 2 part epoxy so it wouldn't be a super old one, maybe a silaflex after they were bought by Browning?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Spyderman

Should anyone be interested, I have this cradle, rod, and Penn International 30 reel for sale on my local Craigslist site - (https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/spo/d/rockville-rare-nep-tuna-cradle-rod-penn/6891627504.html).  Shipping will be at buyer's expense.  I will package everything securely, to ensure it arrives unscathed.