Rust prevention on Channellock pliers

Started by pjstevko, November 04, 2018, 07:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I just received a beautiful pair of wrapped cutters and pliers and need to know how to prevent them from rusting?

The pliers showed signs of rust after one day of use on the boat.....

Thanks

Pj

Rivverrat

Outside of having them plated or a regular coat of oil/ grease there is really nothing.

If you do come up with "Another Way" please let the rest of us know. The handles being chord rapped presents issues.. Jeff

STRIPER LOU

I think your stuck with what Jeff suggested.

You might consider lightly soaking and old rag or t shirt in you favorite oil and storing these wrapped up and in a plastic ziplock bag. All my boating tools are stored this way.
All are plain steel and still look good as most have been my boating tools for over 30yrs.

.............Lou

Midway Tommy

Actually, coating metal products with Penetrol will subdue rust for awhile. Like with any preservative coating, though, it has to be reapplied after time. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

George6308

You might try new WD-40 rust soak and spray corrosion preventative spray. Brownell's may also have a product that you could coat your steel tools to prevent rust.

oc1

Yes, what they said.  You have to stay after it but over time it gets a little easier.  Something happens as the metal darkens and a patina develops.  Unfortunately, those grips are also going to darken.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Apply CorrosionX or TSI321 to the joints and wipe the excess over the rest of the tool (works for me ;)). Going for a stainless product might be better :-\

RowdyW

It might be better to replace them with stainless steel items. Easier to maintain.            Rudy

thorhammer

Wipe with Corrsion Block, not X. It's more tenacious. After I do this i wrap in a shop towel sprayed liberally with whatever oil I have handy. It works well, and i do this on crimpers, hook files etc that are not readily available economically in SS. I keep them in planos unless on my person in my offshore bag, which basically gets drowned every trip, and it works well.

John

pjstevko

Anyone have any experience with Salt Away (http://www.saltawayproducts.com/16ozPage.htm)?

Seems like it might be worth checking out.....

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Pj

foakes

If you spray the tools with WD-40 Rust Inhibitor periodically — you will be fine.

I used to work with a farmer who had very old shovels and hoes that lasted probably 30 or 40 years.

His secret? — He sharpened the shovels and hoes with a portable grinder about every 6 months.

Then, after each use in the muddy fields — he would spray them off with water to remove the mud & crud — then spray them down with WD-40 Rust Inhibitor — and just hang them up in the barn.

They would get a darker patina —  plus were smoother than a new tool.

Some of the WD-40 would adhere to the surface even when towel dried.

The cord wrapped handles present a different different issue which means either you don't mind getting oil on the cording — or cruddy rust develops under the cording.

The cording looks cool — but is a little impractical for tools exposed to water, air, and salt — since it shields some of the handle from getting protection.

Either way, ChannelLock is a good brand.

Even SS will rust if not taken care of properly.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

I use Salt Away on my rods & reels after a fresh water rinse.            Rudy

Midway Tommy

The thing I like about Penetrol is that it soaks into the steel and also adds a thin protective coating to the outside, sort of like a very thin clear coat, although it does have a slight oily look after it dries, but it is not oily or greasy like many of the commonly used rust protectors. I can't stand the after affects and smell of WD40 so I rarely use it for anything other than lubing the pivot joints on side cutters, wireman's pliers , etc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

pjstevko

I appreciate all the info on the different products, I'll definitely look into some of them....

The cordage around the handles has already been sealed with some product but I'm unsure of what it is....

I'll take care of them the best I can and see how long they last

JoseCuervo

How does carbon steel with a vinegar etch hold up at sea, any better than plain steel?