Halibutts on the bottom and Sea lions on the top

Started by gstours, November 05, 2018, 02:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is another clip of some fishing fun.  See what you think?   Another great day on the Maiko.   Only in Alaska.

Darin Crofton

That was a great way to start the week, you made me lol
We throw weights at dolphins sometimes, but the slingshot
is much better! Off the amazon to get one of those, hopefully
like the one I had as a kid...
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

David Hall

I got me one of them fancy paintball guns for the fur bags.  Look around see if you can pick up a used one.
Hell I got about 25 shots as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. Saves a lot of time when you don't have to reload.

gstours

Thanks for the usefull info for legally protecting your catch.  I don,t want to hurt the big buggers, butt when they bruise and tear meat off my fish hanging over the side in the nice cold water its easier to try to shoo them away than pull the fish in quickly and then put them over back in the water.  Most days they are not a problem,  Like bears they are generally shy of people.  They have stolen my fish a few times so its something to think about.
   In Alaska there was a firecracker called a Seal Bomb, and some gov agencys woulf give them away to trollers and longliners to protect their catch,  butt those days are gone.   I have expired flares I thought of trying,  butt it may call unnecessary attention to my little boat.   I dont like even firing guns as the report usually calls in the worst charter boats.....
  I have thought of the paintball gun idea before butt ive never known much about them.  Which ones would anybody recommend?  I,d like something fairly powerful .  Christmas is coming.   Good idea huh? ???

gstours

Butt, I,m all about sharing the dock fees with the furbags🚣

David Hall

id check ebay or amazon, just type it in to the search engine, I got a used one from a friend, they wont hurt them. probably less than your sling shot but it will deter them, and teach them that approaching boats may not be the best idea.  down here they're vicious, they have snatched people right off boats and the dock.  there is a particularly aggressive one in Half Moon Bay that has attacked several people.  I just had a big Bull move onto my dock, fortunately he stays away from my boat, at least last I checked he hadn't been on it.
Problem is there is a type of person (and theres a lot of this type) who think the furbag is cute and they enjoy feeding them fish, they teach their children to do this and the animals lose any respect for humans that they had if they ever had any to begin with.  then the animals start approaching people looking for food.  when the food doesn't come forthwith some animals get aggressive.  A hard thing to deter here in California.

Dominick

Have Hardyboy's wife make you a seal bonker. ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Hey folks,  i,m not complaining really,  i,ve got it made and know it. :-\    Just like to stirr the pot.   so to say! ;)
    When i,m trolling by a nav bouy and its crowded with them buggers on the top and one gets pushed off I just "shucks, darn"!
  Of coarse they got to rest and feed just like any body going to a bar or fast food joint.    Some nuisance  sea lions were captured and tagged in Oregon and taken a hundred miles to the pacific ocean area and released ,  within a few days to a week they returned to the fish ladder that was over a hundred river miles away and had the best chow and kept decimating the returning salmon run you sportsman paid so dearly for a chance to catch a salmon.
   Yes in some place they are in a decline.  I,m stayng out of the management stuff as Ive worked of several these affected gov agencys and am luckly retired.    Now maybe the midterm elections will be the people with the solutions????? :-[
   Now you got something to squack about.

gstours

Oh My?  maybe I spoke too soon.???

Oh Well????

Glos

Don`t allow teletubies to make rules and stop you from protecting your catch and eventualy even life, because overprotecting animals will always end up in serius problems.
Do what ever it takes to make them fearfull and weary of humans.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

gstours

gstours

And i,m hoping you wernt planning working on your boat today?    Just wonderin. ???