DIY Green Molding Sand

Started by gstours, November 06, 2018, 05:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Having some extra time on my hands I found this informative and usefull for the lead jig folks.  All comments welcome.
        Ive never made a lead anything from a sand casting,  butt i,m getting the stuff and making some killer octopus patterns.

Somebody said " ya gotta walk before ya can run"   I can see what day mean. ;)

oldmanjoe

You may want to look into plaster of paris .    More of a permanent mold for lead casting.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

swill88

I did a sand casting in 7th grade metal shop.   Poured a fish!

Great fun.

Steve

gstours

Thanks for the advise.  :)  I did not like the green sand recipe particularly ,  the part about using water to help bond the clay and sand  isnt good for lead pouring?  Maybe its a good mix for silicone casting?   
    What about using motor oil instead of the water in the mix?   Seems like I heard of this a long time ago.  Anybody know?? ???
    Just wondering?   

Keta

Quote from: swill88 on November 06, 2018, 11:04:26 PM
I did a sand casting in 7th grade metal shop.   Poured a fish!

Great fun.

Steve

Me too, I poured a dive weight mold.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on November 07, 2018, 04:16:41 PM
  Thanks for the advise.  :)  I did not like the green sand recipe particularly ,  the part about using water to help bond the clay and sand  isnt good for lead pouring?  Maybe its a good mix for silicone casting?   
    What about using motor oil instead of the water in the mix?   Seems like I heard of this a long time ago.  Anybody know?? ???
    Just wondering?   

I am pretty sure water is what everybody uses.  I have't  sand cast in decades,  but I think the water is needed to liquefy the clay and glue the whole thing together.    Not sure if the oil would even get absorbed.  Since the sand is porous, excess water does not get trapped and steams out.    To improve surface finish you can put a flame to the mold surface before casting.  I would expect that oil in the sand can and will burn at the temps you pour metal. If the mold does not catch fire,  you will still have gas escaping from the burning oil, which could screw up the cast. Plus a batch a toxic sand that will be difficult to dispose of responsibly.

The guy in the video is  recommending 10-12% water content, which is double what others recommend.  I'm not sure I would trust somebody who pours molten aluminum in shorts.   BTW, there is one more than one type of bentonite, and it is a tossup whether you kitty litter is 100% of the right stuff with no additives.    The good stuff is used for lining ponds, water and oil wells, etc,  so might be possible to find real bentonite.   

Here is another site with some different instructions: http://www.foundry101.com/archive.htm

A lot of work to get a jig head.   If you are going this route, you may want to pour a bunch at  once.   You can make a plaster mold  of the the master and pour a bunch of duplicates out of resin.  But I would guess by the time you get a plaster mold made, you will just end up pouring lead into it :)

Hope this helps,

-J

gstours

Thanks again for the great information on casting.  Especially the green sand info link.
   I learning a lot here.  Don't know how I missed finding some of these links.  Any more information is appreciated.   I,m willing to work for what I do.   Sounds odd I know 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
    I didn't think about the heat in the sand when/after pouring the molten lead.   That would smoke and smell terrible at the very least.   Thanks again.🎣

gstours

Thanks for the add on info.  I found bentonite clay powder at Amazon.com  thats good for me as they will mail to alaska free, Prime.
     I,m getting more out of you folks every day.   This first cast i,m planning will be the octopus jig head in several sizes.