Dishwasher

Started by Shark Hunter, December 03, 2018, 05:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

John Hoyle had some questions about a dishwasher I was installing.
Rather than a PM, I will show a few pics of the installation.
The size of the opening is 24"x24"x35" high.
New Drain and fill hoses and direct wire hook up.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

The only main issue I ran into was the ceramic tile was not under the Dishwasher.
This wouldn't allow it to slide right in. I had to crank the front legs up, and then level them back after sliding it in.
The wife is very Happy.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Nice job Darin.  I had the same problem with the tile when I did mine.  Adjusting the height was a pain.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

To tie the front top tabs I gorilla glued 2 1/2 inch plywood strips and screwed the tabs on to those. Worked pretty good, it was been 5 years and still holding.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Good for you, Darin. Happy wife, HAPPY LIFE!  ;D

One thing a lot of installation instructions don't mention is to make sure your drain line loops up to the bottom of the counter top before it drops back down and enters the disposal or drain fitting. This creates an air gap. Some say it's not needed because the pump has a solenoid valve. Most plumbing codes, regardless of the valve, require that loop.

As far as no tile in the DW hole, if the under counter height allows, we generally add a shim a couple inches wide the same height as the tile on each side so the DW will roll (adjustable wheels in the back rather than legs) or easily slide back into the hole with little adjustment to the front legs.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

The Maytag has wheels on the back. It would not fit without turning the legs down in the front first.
In the past two months, I bought a new double oven, New Dishwasher and fridge will be here next week.
It was time.
I bought the House New in 92.
The stove and fridge came with me and were over 30 years old.
They don't make them like they used to. ::)
I'm partial to Maytag and Whirlpool.
We will see.
The wife wanted me to pay for installation.
I don't think so.
I can still turn a wrench and I'm not going to pay anyone else to do it.
They can put it in my truck for free. I'll take it from there. ;)
Gobi, I have sold surface counter tops, but there is wood underneath. I screwed the new tabs right in.
I initially set the legs too high and it made the top of the door hit a smidge. I had to lower them a tad more to make her happy.
My reel tutorials have been slacking. I've been busy keeping four cars up to snuff for winter and my job is demanding as hell.
I just enjoy the satisfaction of doing things myself, and somehow, I get it all done.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Dish washer?😉😁

I will not tell the wife that it's actually a reel parts cleaner.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

You know Bryan,
I actually had that in the back of my mind the whole time. ;D
This thing really cleans well.
It has power blast mode!
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

CONGLOMERATES!

??? Who knows who makes what anymore.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Reel 224

Darin: Can I call you if my DW goes down?........................................Joe :o ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Those of us on this site who have the skills to diagnose, repair, service, upgrade and build reels from scratch — also can do most anything required in their house.

Great job, Daron!

As to brands and features of appliances — some are better, some not so good — most are made by the same 3 or 4 manufacturers — and just labeled differently.

The house we live in was built in 1930.  The location was good, but the cabin was dated and clunky.

We decided to tear down a front room — then we decided to flip the locations of the dining room and kitchen — as part of a whole house upgrade and remodel interior and exterior.

This entailed new cabinets, glasswork, overhead beam structure, plumbing, septic rerouting, new H.W. heater, electrical, windows, furnace reducting, moisture barriers, insulation, floor reinforcement, new countertops, new floor tile, sheetrock, paint, ceiling fans, under cupboard recessed lighting, 3-way switches and dimmers, new recessed lighting in the ceiling, new sink and all new appliances.

I did most of the work with the exception of having the cabinets built (although did the installation myself).  Also subbed out the backsplash tile, floor tile, and granite countertops.

We bought basic appliances without any bells or whistles — just basic functions.  Then we built the woodwork to fit the space and appliance measurements.  Hotpoint, Whirlpool, and Kenmore.

We checked the ratings on Consumer Reports — and I also knew that the "bells & whistles" are the things that tend to fail on appliances — electronics, digital, extra unneeded fancy features, etc.

All has worked well with no issues.  As part of our wanting to be independent in case of a power failure — we also installed a LP powered standby automatic generator that runs the whole house, workshops, wells, internet, freezer, etc.

We also opted for a LP stove, oven, HW heater, and clothes dryer.

Sometimes basic is better than fancy.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I buy all my appliances at lowes.
Thorough research and ratings.
5 year extended warranty above the manufacturer.
My Military discount makes it more affordable.
That looks great Fred.
We do need more cabinet space.
I want to tile the space above the backsplash all around the counter tops, but she won't have it. ::)
i know how to lay tile, I did the Kitchen floor in ceramic by myself.
Guess I'll let it be. :-\

Life is Good!

gstours

Great job on your house Daron,  you're a busy person, skills abound,  thanks for sharing.
   Happy holidays.👋