Wife Went Bonkers

Started by Hardy Boy, November 06, 2018, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

All the miles I've drifted on the small coastal streams of southern Oregon,

Each drift boat had an oak bonker stick under the guide seat,

and after catching fish, rather than using the oak bonker stick,

we often used a rock from the stream bed,

when we bonked the salmon or steelhead on its head, we called it a "GRANITE SHOWER!!!!"

Get it!  Granite Shower!!!!

I'm back to work.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

steelfish

thanks guys, so everyday you learn something new.

most local fish are white meat fish, not oily or bloody as salmon, skiptunas, tunas, YT and few others, so I was taught (by a commercial fisherman) that there was no need to bleed a corvina, croackers, snapper and other of the Bass family and smaller groupers, with the exeption of Sierras (spanish macks) if they come too green to the boat you kill them with the bait knife by a cut in the gills but an actual Bonker tool to kill them is not normally used,  now if you go 2 or 3hrs more south from my town to fish you can find during the season, Yellowtail, monster Spanish macks and bigger groupers which Im pretty sure its good idea to  start bleeding them before going to the iced storage area of the boat.
I totally understand the humanity part of "put the fish to sleep" with a bonker and to prevent bruising.
The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Yep, it was spelled out clearly, BONK,BLEED,ICE.

I go one step more before icing the fish and that is practicing Ike Jime ( pronounced ee-kay jee-may). Japanese technique for best method of preserving the meat of the fish.  It means "close the book" as in ...this is the fish's last chapter of life and now we close the book on that fish. As opposed to "killing" it. Many Orientals may be Shinto or Buddhist in their belief system and are opposed to killing things.

Basically, brain spike the fish and run a steel wire down its spinal cord. No latent nervous system messages sent out and no lactic acid build up. Bleeding removes the blood ( duhh...) which is a main catalyst for spoilage when the fish dies and is not promptly iced down.

I can tell a difference is the quality of the flesh and taste of fish that have been treated with  - bonk. bleed, ike jime, ice.

The bonker starts the process with the least amount of damage to the meat.

Dominick

Alex all the pangeros in baja use a fish bonker. 

Steve-O I tried the Ike Jime thing but I could not get the wire down the spine. I read the whole process and I think I was doing it correctly but it did not work for me.  Any tips?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

Alex: I do it on all fish including our white grouper like fish (rockfish). I would do the bonk, bleed and ice on all of your fish; try it,you may be surprised. On a side note many of our commercial fishermen do not bonk or bleed their commercial catch either (due to time and volume) but most bonk and bleed the fish they are going to eat themselves.

Going to Ixtapa next week and I will have all my fish "put to sleep" and bled and then I will take my cervasa off of the ice to make room for the fish !! ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on November 08, 2018, 08:05:09 PM

with Baja, you mean Cabos, la paz and near zones, right?
you better off be prepared with a bonker, knife, etc for any monster fish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on November 08, 2018, 09:08:28 PM
Alex: I do it on all fish including our white grouper like fish (rockfish). I would do the bonk, bleed and ice on all of your fish; try it,you may be surprised. On a side note many of our commercial fishermen do not bonk or bleed their commercial catch either (due to time and volume) but most bonk and bleed the fish they are going to eat themselves.
Going to Ixtapa next week and I will have all my fish "put to sleep" and bled and then I will take my cervasa off of the ice to make room for the fish !! ;D
Cheers:
Todd

well, that kind of explain it all, the person that got me fishing as a hobby (few years ago) was a local commercial fisherman, he knows nothing about sportfishing at all, we actually fished the old way with a wood and thick line (cuban yoyo) and her "free days" during the fishing season, I actually went fishing with him on a normal working day for fishing for shrimp and corvina as a deckhand or worker with big nets few times, he told me that he had some really old rods and reels that need a clean up but could still work, so, I started to search info for fishing with rods and reels and how to clean them  .. then I found At.com  ;D ;D
I say to many friends that I still feel as a novice in fishing, there is always something to learn

I will do my best to remember to put the fish to sleep, bleeding, Im totally convinced the quiality of the meat would be a lot better
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Well Todd, one belt on the foot with that club, would really wake you up, ay, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Quote from: steelfish on November 08, 2018, 09:33:27 PM

with Baja, you mean Cabos, la paz and near zones, right?
you better off be prepared with a bonker, knife, etc for any monster fish

Yes Amigo, Alex I meant Los Cabos, Cabo San Lucas and Loreto.  I never fished La Paz. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Steve-O I tried the Ike Jime thing but I could not get the wire down the spine. I read the whole process and I think I was doing it correctly but it did not work for me.  Any tips?  Dominick
Maybe this?:    The wire/mono  does not go down the center of the spine, it goes down the neural canal.   If you look at a cross section of the vertebrae: in addition to the center hole, you will see a tube on the top and bottom.   The top tube is the neural canal.  I find it difficult to find at the head end of the fish without cutting things up a bit,  but not as tough from the tail side.   The wire/mono has to be sized properly, and not too stiff or sharp.

There is no shortage of of scientific papers and chef taste tests on Ike Jime.   There is some evidence that disabling transmission on the neural canal is useful, but no apparent difference if it is simply severed (slice down to the spine behind the head) or a running wire/mono/along the distance.

I try to get the neural canal interface by working the spike a bit along the top of the backbone  when brain spiking. I am not a big fan of making any more cuts on a fish than necessary until cleaning/packing time- especially in a hot air/sea environment.   A quick spike, bleed immersed in water, and into a kill bag with ice and some seawater. 

A big yellowtail or dorado will sometimes come back after getting bonked and thrash around like crazy.  It won't come back from a brain spiking.   

-J

jurelometer

I think know I am taking this thread off topic- so I  started another on Ike Jime :

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26915.0

Dominick:  The second link (how tos) has a good photo of of the neural canal getting "wired".

Alex:  The first link shows the science behind Ike Jime and also bleeding-  take a look at the photos and taste tests for a different viewpoint.

-J

Reel 224

Blunt trama :o I would rather gill a fish. IMO...........................Joe

Clubs I use to check tires on trucks. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Hardy Boy

There is something satisfying about a good bonk ..................... like hitting the golf ball in the sweet part of the club ............... the sound and results are perfect. That being said I have seen some bad attempts made at thrashing fish that resulted in body hits to both fish and people. I had a client once ,years ago, that wanted to bonk his own fish and by the time he was done both clients, myself and the deck was covered in blood and the fish had yet to be hit on the head ! The best part was the guy was wearing white pants !!! ::)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks Mr. Julo,  can you give us some more details on your brain spiking technique?  Do you have the fish overboard?  Do you use a knife or a  spike  as I,m thinking ?   Thanks we are here to learn ;)

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on November 09, 2018, 05:14:37 PM
............that wanted to bonk his own fish and by the time he was done both clients, myself and the deck was covered in blood and the fish had yet to be hit on the head ! The best part was the guy was wearing white pants !!! ::)
Todd

I have seen this..   a lot

poor fish died on the first hit in the head but the guy was mad at something that keep hitting the fish head until eyes, mouth, brains, etc were all gone and that happened with the next fish until the captain said.. amigo, just one hit and leave it alone.
The Baja Guy

Gobi King

I need a "bonker" in my tackle box.

This salmon season I got a taste of rotten fish blood, eggs, and muddy water at the river bank, I can vouch that this stuff is not appetizing by any measure,  :P

Bleeding fish:

if the fish is dead how will it bleed? I mean will it's heart still pump?

knock em unconscious  > cut gills on both sides > cut in cooler

did I get that right?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan