Abu Garcia

Started by sharkman, November 07, 2018, 11:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Recently purchased two abu garcias, a 5600C4 and Royal Express II. I don't know much about these reels. Can anyone bring me up to speed on the reels. Will they hold up to saltwater fishing.

thorhammer

Really freshwater bass reels, but they will do ok in salt for flounder, reds etc. if kept serviced then lubed / cleaned after each outing. Abu 6500 and up have a following in the surfcasting crowd here in NC, and the 6500 is just a widened 5-series. I really like the 5600 for bass fishing with the thumbar, its one of the first reels out and went in and lubed the bearings with corrosion x, pulled out a casting bloc, and the thing will flat launch a spook, which is a great combination for getting way out to wary reds on the flats too.  I'm digging back, but if memory serves the Royal Express stopped production early 90's; it has a fast gear ration like 6.3 to 1, give or take. They don't generate a lot of drag, and aren't really designed as braid reels, so keep that in mind...there are some bits inside that are nylon and don't need the stress of 50lb braid. I like these as 12-20 mono reels.

exp2000

Carbontex upgrades will make a huge difference to the drag performance on these reels.
~

Keta

If you use the C4 in saltwater make sure you rinse it as soon as you can, they do not like saltwater but as long as you keep them rinsed they work well.  I use them for salmon.  Up grade the drag washers and put a AR dog in it.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2631.0
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sharkman

Thorhammer funny you mentioned braid. I bought these reels out of a collection and the owner must have been after the loch ness monster. They had enormous size braided line it is larger than 100lb power pro. I am going to replace with mono

Keta

The 5600/6500 reels like 40# spectra.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

I am an abu ambassadeur fan and have the few of them, my 6500c3 is full of 50# braid no because I need the strengh of the 50# but because is more easy to handle for the diameter and adds a bit of abrasion protection over 30 or 40# braid.
my 7000c is also full of 50# braid, and my smaller 5500 is full of 40# just to add a bit more yards to the narrow spool, sometimes I spool it with 15# mono

all of them are use on saltwater, surf fishing mostly
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Imma hazard a guess a bass fisherman was using heavy braid and that thumbar to flip jigs and yank fish out of cover with drag locked...do a good look see inside to see he didn't set the hook into a stomp and hurt something with no stretch...

Agree on the 40lb range and the ease to handle larger diameter. I do use braid on Abu's in select applications: GREAT for Carolina rigging, and for vertical jigging....I'm just vigilant about not locking drag down. the old 20 pound Fusion actually casts plugs well and is not a "hot" line on thumb.

sharkman

Thanks guys for the info. I am going to spool one with 40 braid and the other with mono. The mono for casting till I get the hang off casting them.

Keta

Strip of a bit more line than you expect to cast and tape the spool.  When you backlash it will be easier to dig out.

Mark Twain

exp2000

I have about half a dozen ABU bait-casters - mostly 5000 series reels.

Made from aircraft grade aluminum, the material quality and finish is exceptional.

Many fishos here use them in the saltwater creeks  and estuaries or for light blue-water fishing.

They are very resilient to saltwater use and I often use them from the kayak because they are so easy to pull down and service and represent great value for money. Provided they are maintained properly, they will last a very long time.

As suggested before, all mine have carbontex upgrades and are spooled with 20 lb braid.

I once landed a heavy seven foot shark from the kayak on one of these. Now that was quite a battle!
~

Donnyboat

Yes Brett, I caught a 15Kg shark with my 5000, that I brought from Alan, I took it steady to about 20 Minutes to land it, the reel is still working great, by the way Alan, that cheque I sent you still has`nt been cashed, I will taulk to you about it @ your 10year party. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

tincanary

Quote from: Keta on November 07, 2018, 04:42:08 PM
If you use the C4 in saltwater make sure you rinse it as soon as you can, they do not like saltwater but as long as you keep them rinsed they work well.  I use them for salmon.  Up grade the drag washers and put a AR dog in it.

I apologize if I'm thread jacking, but how do you add the AR dog?  From what I've read, the brake plates on reels without the dog still have the hole for the AR dog pin.  How does one go about attaching the pin?  I run a 5600AB (usual upgrades, removed AB gizmo) but would like an AR dog to backup the IAR.

Keta

Quote from: tincanary on December 04, 2018, 12:19:00 PM
I apologize if I'm thread jacking, but how do you add the AR dog?  From what I've read, the brake plates on reels without the dog still have the hole for the AR dog pin.  How does one go about attaching the pin?  I run a 5600AB (usual upgrades, removed AB gizmo) but would like an AR dog to backup the IAR.

Check this link out.

Mark Twain