OKUMA ANDROS 12SIIA

Started by Danner2100, November 24, 2018, 03:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danner2100

I am going on my first LR trip next November and picked up two OKUMA ANDROS 12SIIA based on reviews I read here. The question I have is do I need to send them to Alan for "tuning" or should I fish them out of the box??
Thanks

Gfish

Okuma has a good rep. as reel companies go, but best to disassemble and make sure everything's properly lubed before 1st saltwater trip, or have Allen 'er someone else from here do it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

On an Okuma, you could likely get by with fishing out of the box...

And Alan may concur on that —

However, since you have another year before your LR trip — if it were mine, I would do a "pre-fish" inspection and service, just to make sure.

This is obviously a trip you have been planning and looking forward to — and it is just good prep to make sure you have all of the possibilities covered.  Never hurts to verify and have "eyes on" your tool functions and prep before the big trip.

You are investing a lot of money, time, and effort in this trip — shortcuts sometimes pay off — sometimes not...

Assured confidence in your gear is key —

Alan could inspect, verify readiness, add a little grease here and there, and get the reel at the proper strike and drag settings for your line, rod, and main target species.

Alan has the deep experience, as well as some very expensive equipment that will get the spooling, drag, and strike numbers just right.

Or, if you feel comfortable trying it yourself — there is plenty of time to learn — and get it right with help from some of our HD Salt Water experts on site such as Alan and others.

You purchased a couple of very capable reels.

Welcome!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

As always Fred - sound advice
And welcome Danner2100

alantani

well, the rigging is important.  you do need the braid packed properly, figure out what topshot is needed, and set the drag.  you might consider a bigger handle grip (i have lots!).  so first of all, how are they rigged. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

A year away I would take a look inside or have someone do it. But most all Andros reels have been OK. Except for bearings. A few were lacking properly lubed bearings.Alan can not only do this but also make sure the line is spooled right. While also doing a handle upgrade. If spooling with 50 line or even 40 a proper handle upgrade is a good thing to have done on these reels.

Also tie your line off to something solid & repeatedly pull off 50 yards of line at the drag setting you plan to fish & a bit past this level of drag to check function of reel. Not just the drag but also the shift function of the reel while doing this.  
OVER  & OVER I PREACH DOING THIS ON ALL NEW REELS. To my friends & prior to every trip with all gear used.  NEVER does "ANY" reel I've worked on leave my hands to the customer with out performing this test.

But yet people continue to spend thousands of dollars on trips & blindly choose to take & use gear with blind trust & expectations. When taking time to perform this simple test can reveal short comings & save a lot of aggravation......

Not me, Not now, Not ever !!!  ... Jeff