Main Menu

Ike Jime info

Started by jurelometer, November 09, 2018, 01:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

I was taking Todd's post on fish clubs off topic so I thought it might be useful to start a separate thread.

There is a good series on Ike Jime (the Japanese technique for killing fish humanely and maximizing the  quality)..

Lots of data and links to the supporting science, a demo and taste test with a master sushi chef, and much more.    If you think Ike Jime is overkill, take a look at the photos of the raw fish slices and read the taste tests.

The series starts here:
http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=1690.html

He also has a good how-to Ike Jime page:

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=2008.html

Note the photo near the end that shows the neural canal location for running the wire/mono.  Hint:  not the center of the spine

My comments from the other post regarding Ike Jime on a panga (caveat:  I am no expert on this stuff):

I try to get the neural canal interface by working the spike a bit along the top of the backbone  when brain spiking. I am not a big fan of making any more cuts on a fish than necessary until cleaning/packing time- especially in a hot air/sea environment.   A quick spike, bleed immersed in water, and into a kill bag with ice and some seawater.

A big yellowtail or dorado will sometimes come back after getting bonked and thrash around like crazy.  It won't come back from a brain spiking.   

-J

Darin Crofton

I've read about this before, have yet to try it, but I believe in the science!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

ChileRelleno

Good info, very good articles, thanks for linking them.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Tiddlerbasher

Oh my! As if I wasn't anal enough about my fish preparation ???