Working with abalone

Started by ReelFishingProblems, November 09, 2018, 12:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Good morning Ohana (at least it's morning in Florida)

I have slowly been working on a Sabre Stroker SM80 blank.
No need for this rod in the Tampa Bay, but honestly, how many of y'all buy/build/repair things just because you're addicted?

I'm going full AFTCO roller on this build, and i've always wanted to use abalone for decorative purposes. This first product I bought was a cheap sticker of what looked like a color photocopy of a sheet of abalone. I gave it a try, and covered it in epoxy. Turned out exactly like a photocopy of abalone covered in epoxy. Go figure.

The second attempt was with genuine abalone. It is brittle but beautiful. Using a heat gun makes it wrap around the blank without cracking/separating/etc. it is stunningly beautiful.

Thought I would share my little project.

thorhammer

Very nice work! I bet you have a pretty blue reel like a Californian that will match that perfectly...Tip: especially on guides with heavier guage frames, dress ends with a file so you get a tapered ramp to wind on. Having a step on the big roller guides is maddening to wind on and throws off the lay, as you no doubt found. If you choose to do that, make sure the guide is underwrapped AND make sure to dress the underside to remove any burs that might get in that nice blank. I use emory cloth after filing. Also will help reducing a sag point in the epoxy. My 0.02.

ReelFishingProblems

I did that on cheaper guides, but felt weird about doing that to these. I did under wraps, but now that you pointed it out, I probably will unwrap and file the feet. It is maddening getting the guide to climb without messing up. I taped it down as tight as I could. Even then had a 3-thread width portion of the guide showing, so I pushed it down to cover. Made the rest of the winds more labor intensive since the thread wasn't straight anymore.... amazing how laziness breeds more work

Swami805

I use a disk sander in a drill with 100 grit disks to taper the feet,crude but effective. Also make sure the feet are flat and straight,might have to bend them a little.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

Nice work nick - I luv abalone. I have added some to several rods I built/re-built.
This was applied to the split butt of an Andros rod:

I got the materials from Kevin Knox at Anglers Envy - nice guy :)

thorhammer

oh yeah, forgot you have a dremel, as Swami pointed out, drum sander in dremel is a lot faster.

Alto Mare

Beautiful job Nick...love it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

The best tool that I found for prep work on guide feet is the Stay Sharp mini belt sander. Works great.

Dwight

Reel 224

I also use the stay sharp, and the best I have found so far.................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

I am a fan of the abalone too.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ReelFishingProblems

Thank you all for the encouragement and the examples of what can be done with abalone.
My youngest daughter (5) wants me to put a mermaid decal on this rod because it is now "her" mermaid rod

Rivverrat

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 09, 2018, 09:04:46 PM

My youngest daughter (5) wants me to put a mermaid decal on this rod because it is now "her" mermaid rod

Be sure to tell her she'll need to go Snipe hunting for bait because thats all mermaids bite on... Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on November 09, 2018, 09:04:46 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement and the examples of what can be done with abalone.

wait till she wants to put hearts, stars, magic glitter, etc on "her" rod... you better build her a rod and let her add what she wants..

been there already
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20515.15

The Baja Guy

ReelFishingProblems

I have to let the wife take the girls snipe hunting. She has many stories of her uncles sending her after the elusive species!
My 7 year old has an electric guitar covered in butterflies, hearts, and stars.

I will gladly put almost anything on a rod or guitar to keep their interest in it. But I think it is mostly good experiences, other than that, I'm happy raising gear heads

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?