Shimano Calcutta Conquest

Started by Lunker Larry, March 21, 2020, 08:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Here's something I haven't seen before. First time opening up one of these reels. Thought it was interesting and I'd pass it along.
It's like an accordion spring type belville washer thingy :)  The two under it are pretty thick and are cupped shallow so I don't think they do much.
Anyway. New to me and kinda unique.
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

wfjord

Interesting. I've never seen anyone stack wavy spring washers like that either; looks like seven of them on there.  I just overhauled a couple of large 9/10-weight Ross Gunnison fly reels that had a stack of 5 stainless steel conical Belleville washers.

Brewcrafter

Wow, that neat Larry. Can you tell how they made it?  is it a series of wavy spring washers with light welds to keep them in the proper orientation? - john

Lunker Larry

It appears to be made from a continuous coil. I imagine one of the engineers on this site could tell us how it is bonded together.

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

Its their new X-Washer..!!

They use this on some of their newer reels. I don't remember what its called.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Brewcrafter

That's neat!  Thanks for the reply.  There are wiser folks on this forum and I look forward to their thoughts.  I would guess a spring washer of this type would have fixed pressure over fixed compression over distance.

boon

It's called (quite aptly) a "wave spring". They are reasonably common in high-end spinning reels such as the Shimano Stella to provide pressure on the drag stack. I think they behave more linearly than a traditional coil spring, and they compress into a small space at maximum compression due to the flatter "coils".