Improving the Diawa Sealine 400h

Started by gstours, November 10, 2018, 01:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is a post to show some of the pictures that photobucket robbed you of thru time.  The drag and the double dog mods were the main improvements that were needed so thats all im going to focus on.
  The end plate was milled to make room opposite the other dog similar to what most people do now to the plates.

The new dog was modified to fit where it was chosen.

The plate was installed showing the spring and new dog.

The brass gear was laid out and milled on a drillpress using a rotary table in a crossfeed vice.  Crude, inexpensive but doable it seemed.

another after clean up.

Here is a homade drag sandwich.   

Heres using the cf .045 hex washers and titanium .025 keyed washers with a eared washer on the top of the stack,   then a thick fattee washer on the top.   It Fits!!
   Ya its brass,   Butt?

Here the old reel holding 35# of lead .  Later more was stacjed on and it was about 38# when the drag started creeping.   I,m ok with this.  Of coarse the skeptic and scoffers will say its brass butt its all i had or you have to work with.   Its caught several 250 # halibuts and seems happy to go fishing again....   Thanks for any comments and feedback. ;)

gstours

As time has marched on and you and your friends have improved things,  more improvements have been made. 
    There seems to be little info out there on double dogging these diawa reels,  butt its about the same as a penn.
  Personally with the drag inset kits out now fairly reasonably I would opt for one of these and adapt it to the Diawa main gear.
Adams (motofab)  kits would be my first choice.   The 900h diawa seems to have a drag kit available for it from his listings.
  The crank arms could be improved.  I made mine and will show it soon for the 400h.     Thanks for reading this .

Darin Crofton

Keep up the good work, Gary! Butt don't try too hard  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Rivverrat

Uhhh... looking at this reel  the bridge appears to be a nice design & of sturdier design than some other reels. I've one of these old Diawas some where. It was my grandpa's river reel. I think I've opened it up once years ago. The pics of your bridge have aroused my desire to look into these further... Jeff 

steelfish

so Gary, you werent happy just adding a 5+1 custom drags but you were further making you own Hex shaped main gear and custom drag washers.

my idol.
The Baja Guy

Gfish

The Sealine cranks and knobs do indeed need some upgrade improvements(chromed brass that's too short and knob too small).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

I think it was a Daiwa 400 I had, the handle arm was all bent, I found a Penn arm, fitted onto the Daiwa gear sleeve, nice & snug. cheers Don, they are nice strong reels.
Don, or donnyboat