Another Torium Trouble

Started by handi2, November 12, 2018, 08:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 14, 2018, 05:55:05 AM
Ok,
So, I have read people praise forged frames over cast for years. I'm not certain how a cast frame corrodes more than a forged frame? I'm not doubting its the case, I just don't understand it.
The Man
[/quote
Yeah, forged vs. cast, what's up with that? Something to do with anodizing?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Keith,
You can't keep a good man down. ;)
Fixing things gives me a sense of accomplishment too.
I very rarely pay anybody to fix things with my Cars, House and especially reels!
Life is Good!

nelz

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 14, 2018, 05:55:05 AMOk,
So, I have read people praise forged frames over cast for years. I'm not certain how a cast frame corrodes more than a forged frame? I'm not doubting its the case, I just don't understand it.
The Man

As I understand it, anodizing is a layer of controlled "corrosion" that is applied to the bare metal. It acts as a protective layer against the bad corrosion and can be given the cool colors we so love. Don't know if machined/forged frames corrode less, but they are structurally stronger.

My Saltist BG frame is cast but has heavy black anodizing so it resists corrosion very well. The older Saltists were painted and if the paint chipped, corrosion would start to form there.

Just my 2 cents.   ;D

akfish

My understanding is that cast aluminum cannot be anodized; only machined aluminum can be anodized.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

RowdyW

All aluminum can be machined. I don't see why it is not possible to anodize all aluminum. Forged aluminum is just moving the molecules around to give it better grain structure.       Rudy

jurelometer

I think it works like this:   typical cast aluminum parts will not anodize successfully, but it is possible to cast  and anodize  aluminum with the right methods.

A longer explanation:

Cast aluminum is more porous than rolled bar stock.  So it is typically a bit more difficult to get a smooth defect free surface for anodizing.  But a "toothy" surface is ideal for powder coating which can be more corrosion resistant than anodizing if applied properly, and if no mechanical sliding surfaces are involved.  Also cheaper and less rejects than anodizing.  So why not paint?

In addition, specific alloys are used for casting that typically include silica, and metals (e.g. copper) that cannot be anodized, so there ends up being spots on the surface that do not get anodized or have a poor appearance.

There are methods/alloys  to create cast aluminum parts  that can be anodized, but the casting and anodizing process is more expensive than standard aluminum casting.   Plus the process needs tighter control.

My guess is that most reel makers use standard casting for low cost parts,  and when they need to step up in quality, the difference in cost and headaches for a machined bar stock part vs a machined anodizable cast part often makes casting not worth it.  Plus "machined bar stock" is a marketable feature.

-J

Gfish

Thanks for the explainations gentlemen!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

I didn't consider contaminates from the casting media. I haven't heard of a reel that was CeraKoted from the factory, but in all honesty i is what should be happening. Easy to get an amazing finish and cheap, plus corrosion and wear resistance that puts anodizing to shame. I know a manufacturer wouldn't use CeraKote, but many commercial similar alternatives are available.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

I have 2 new Daiwa BG spinning reels with cast frames & a black anodized finish. (4500 & 8000) So I guess it is not that expensive or difficult to anodize cast aluminum if they can do it on $100 reels.

Shark Hunter

I have several of the new BG's and I like them.
Every thing can be done cheaper out of the country.
There is no way around it these days.
Tires, Stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, TV's. You name it.
You think you are buying American, but there is a truth behind the mask.
Life is Good!